We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Is there some kind of medicine?

Madisons' MomMadisons' Mom Senior Member
edited January 2010 in General Pig Health
when my Matilda comes in season, she starts eating all the wood in the barn. Is there something I can give her to "take the edge off"? Other than replacing the wood in the barn I am not quite sure what else to do. Pig Calmex or something?

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Few days of stresnil might do the trick! It will certainly make her sleep alot, so taking away your problem. Failing that magic mushroom in her feed, whacky backy, or simply put tin sheeting on the shed.
    edited December 2009
    Females always get cranky at certain points in their life, whether a pig or not. Whats new! Alls possible, yes move it, easy really! Maybe Maddisons' Mom has no where else to put it, so it might not be that easy. Give it a football to play with if its bored maybe, or get the playing cards out, and play patients. All is possible, and some comments are also very light hearted, so get with the game plan Blonde, and you'll have a brighter New Year!
  • BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    why do women always get cranky--do you mean pigs get cranky when you up set them or yell at them Stevie?
    edited January 2010
    All women(females) get cranky what ever the wheather. Its all to do with their horemones so they tell me, or thats the excuse they use!
  • nikkisnagfarmnikkisnagfarm Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    you guys crack me up ;-)

my gilt is doing the same thing in her BRAND NEW barn. she came into heat and sure enough started chewing on everything she could. Made me about sick after all the time we put into it. I put dawn dish soap on it all and it seems to have stopped for at least slowed her down... I do the same thing on trees that my horses chew on in the spring when the maple trees start to make sap.
    edited January 2010
    Wood and a pig are not a good combo. I've come across this before, and seen the damage they do. Thin sheeting may help, nailed on to the wood, but metal is best, preferably galvanise. We crack us up aswell.
    edited January 2010
    6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other, if I was really honest, but Iam not.
    edited January 2010
    You can hardly blame the boy, as he has to grab it whilst he can, otherwise he might not get it for another 5 months! A long wait if missed. Same old stuff hey!