We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

in the house?

p i g sp i g s Junior Member
edited April 2009 in Pig Tales and Stories
how many of you guys keep your pig{s} in your house?

Comments

• EagerJeeperEagerJeeper Junior Member
    edited July 2008
    p i g s wrote:
    how many of you guys keep your pig{s} in your house?

I have never considered it. Do you let your pigs in your house?
  • PelPel Member
    edited August 2008
    About a year ago, we took home a 6 week old runt for 4 days, he was house trained within a day, had different grunts/squeals for need a wee, water, tickle, warm milk and honey, and by the day 3 even lifted his legs up for his dog harness to go on .. we live 10 yards from a steep drop to a river to had to go on a lead and harness.
    However i would never keep one in the house permentaly and definetly not longer than 4 days at that age, it did smell just of pigs, not wee or poo though. I would never consider buying one to keep in the house, the only time i see it fit is if there is no other way to give them extra TLC when just weaned or pre-weaning for some reason.
  • HamalotHamalot Junior Member
    edited October 2008
    New to the group here. I run a potbelly pig rescue in Oklahoma. I currently have 7 pigs in my house. Pigs are clean by nature so my pigs cause less mess and smell than my dogs or cats. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. We litter box train babies. currently we have 2 that are 4 months old. both are litter box trained. they will pee in the box but won't poop in it. they hold it and go outside. I provide them with their own bedroom filled with queen size comforters. Very spoiled lives they lead. they spend the day out side and sleep in at night. I've heard of people having farm pigs in as well but they usually choose to go outside once they are to large to move around comfortably.
  • ChunkyChunky Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    AHhhhhhh...don't you just love happy endings
    edited October 2008
    Ok.....walks away quietly...shaking head in amazment
    edited October 2008
    Damn keyboard....must be Australian...AMAZEMENT
  • GingersnapGingersnap Junior Member
    edited January 2009
    we kept 2 runts in our house until they were about 4 weeks then they moved out to the shed and then to the garden. we have pet pigs you see. but thoses two went last year.

got another pet piggy now called Gingersnap and she comes into the house but always goes back out and her self but likes to come in to say hi. but we decided to make her her own wee pen
  • radarzluvradarzluv Junior Member
    edited March 2009
    We had a sow who started singling out one of her piglets @ 2 wks old. Naturally, my mothering insticts went into over drive.....That little piglet became known as Lara Lea, my baby! She slept with my husband and I, even though she had her own bed, she liked ours, (she was and still is afraid of the dark). Besides having a bath every day, I put kitty litter in a small littlerbox, and only two times catching her right before she had to go and putting her in the box was all it took, she was potty trainned!! Our house NEVER smelled bad with her in the house. I would however feed her outside when I could, due to the lovely way pigs are such MESSY eaters. She lived in the house until she was two months, then she moved out to the hog barn, but would still roam around the farm during the day, helping me do my chores. She use to go every where with us as well, until of course she got way to big. She now weighs around 445lbs, but is still my baby and thinks she can sit on my lap. And she did come in the house about two weeks ago (she had pushed the back door opened), she merely walked from the back door through the house and out the front. I think she wanted to see if she still could. She will sit on command like a dog and if you put on music and ask her to dance she will start to sway and circle you. Though she is out with the other pigs now she tries to act like either us or the dogs. I could never replace her or the love she has given us. Though since then it seems as though I have had a few other litters where at least one of the piglets were in the house being cared for. However they don't sleep with us I have them in a playpen, but they all are potty trainned within 1-2 days, and I am more than happy to see them return out with their siblings. Now if I could get my bottle fed baby goats (kids) potty trainned I would have it made!!
  • cornishminiscornishminis Junior Member
    edited April 2009
    i have 2mini pigs and i live in the uk, i wouldnt keep my piggys indoors because i believe they are outdoor animals that should be kept in that environment, they should be free to root poop pee sleep and graze outside to reap the benefits that their natural environment provides for them, i also beleieve that human intervention can shape a pigs life in a slightly different way, as all pig owners know they are very vry smart, i do not critisize they way other people bring up piggys, i just believe that they are much happy and healthier when living outdoors.