ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

piglets

blonde Senior Member
edited July 2009 in PMWS and PDNS
What causes piglets to turn around in circles in one direction with their head turned backwards squelling, grunting and just generally being very vocal. Is this the runt of the litter, is this the piglet that does no good in the litter, that should be euthanased at an early age?

Does any body have any idea what creates this problem and how to solve it.

Comments

• Pel Member
    edited June 2008
    sounds like nerve damage or an ear infection, but thats just my guess.
  • Chunky Senior Member
    edited November 2008
    way late in reading this post...Meningitis is the most likley cause.
  • Chunky Senior Member
    edited November 2008
    More than likley...usually circle anti-clockwise. Sure way of telling, if it is down, turn it onto its other side...if Meningitis it will try its hardest to turn back to the other side....brain damage.
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited November 2008
    thanks Chunky, not that we have any in this situation at present, but I have seen it and wondered.
  • BlueButt Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    Is Meningitis a bacterial infection? Do you know the life cycle of how it starts and at what stage does it affect the pig. Is temperature a part of this disease transfer. Does it live with in the pig or is it found elsewhere?
    What does the penecillin do and when does it take effect in the pig? You mention Duphamax--- is that long acting or short acting? is it available every where in the world or only in some areas. What else could we use for this infection?
  • BlueButt Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    What is the difference between a short acting and long acting drug
  • Ianjmoor Member
    edited July 2009
    Short acting is a higher concentration of the active ingredient and usually active for 24 hours, hence daily treatments, long acting is a lower concentration but will last for a few days.
    I would also use an anti inflamatory when treating meningitis, i find the response time is much faster.
  • BlueButt Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    Stevie G said:
    Long acting takes longer to work, and especially with something such as menigitis, you want it to work quickly, as menigitis can kill quickly, so short acting penicillin is the one to use in this instance. The reason you may be getting away with it, is because you are using an anti-inflamatory as well, which acts fast, but using long acting penicillin alone, especially against menigitis, is a definite no, no.
    Why is it a definite No. No. what is the life cycle of meningitis. How do pigs actually get it or are they borne with it.
  • BlueButt Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    Stevie G said:
    If its not treated quickly it can kill the pig!
    Do you not know the life cycle of meningitis.....is it something I should ask a vet?

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

The Commuter Pig Keeper - 5m Books