We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

pls put me through.

fisifisifisifisi Junior Member
edited July 2009 in Pig Tales and Stories
Please i need adequate information on selection of breeding stock, how to identify a good Boar and sow and also the gestation period. THANKS:confused:

Comments

• rhodierhodie Senior Member
    edited August 2007
    Idealy, you need to have someone show you conformation structure on actual sows and boars. Slab sided, dip shoulders, blind teats,etc are difficult to explain, but easily recognised when shown, try to find a mentor or attend some shows. Average gestation length is 114 days, but two days either side of this is normal.
    Enjoy your pigs - Rhodie.
  • zoki-vrbazoki-vrba Junior Member
    edited August 2007
    Hello everyone,I think sir rhodie made a little mistake-average gestation length is 114 days+-2days,not 144 days.
  • rhodierhodie Senior Member
    edited August 2007
    Correct ZOKI, just one of many typing errors that I ascribe to my age and technophobia :) The correct length IS 114 days +- 2 days as you correctly mentioned.
  • IanjmoorIanjmoor Member
    edited January 2008
    there are several points to look out for when selecting boars and gilts,
    make sure that the legs are strong and in particular the hind legs.
    the feet should be straight, not bent in or out, must stand on their trotters and there should be space between the jew claw and the floor.
    Minimum of 14 teats, 6 of which must be infront of the sheath or umbelical.
    no teat deformities, inside out, missing etc.
    Vulva must be normal shape and not turned up
    no admortalities
    they should 'look right' ie a landrace should have flop ears and large white prick ears.
    colour should be true to the genotype.
    I know this is a bit vague, but hope that it helps.
  • BRITTANYBRITTANY Senior Member
    edited February 2008
    to look at the ultimate selection of boars and sows check out steve cobb and family show pigs. search through any search engine. Awesome selection. definitely tops in the showpig industry. some where to start.
    Brittany
  • BlueButtBlueButt Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    Ianjmoor wrote:
    there are several points to look out for when selecting boars and gilts,
    make sure that the legs are strong and in particular the hind legs.
    the feet should be straight, not bent in or out, must stand on their trotters and there should be space between the jew claw and the floor.
    Minimum of 14 teats, 6 of which must be infront of the sheath or umbelical.
    no teat deformities, inside out, missing etc.
    Vulva must be normal shape and not turned up
    no admortalities
    they should 'look right' ie a landrace should have flop ears and large white prick ears.
    colour should be true to the genotype.
    I know this is a bit vague, but hope that it helps.
    How much space should there be between the "jew claw" and the floor?
    What do you mean 6 teats in from on the sheath or umbelical? What types of teat deformities are there and how can they be insie out??
    What happens if the ears are only half way between the two as specified here in this thread?
    "Colour should be true to the genotype" what if there is a piglet that is a different colour in the litter, is he no good to keep. Then if that being the case what do I do with him?:confused: