We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Gilts not eating

Joanna PJoanna P Junior Member
edited November 2015 in General Pig Health
I have 2 gilts (4 months old) which as of yesterday are off their food. They are continuing to forage in the paddock where they are kept but are not eating their pig pellets. Yesterday one was sick, just seemed to be frothy saliva but they still seem to be quite sprightly and active. Could it be they have eaten something in the paddock which has given them a touch of stomach ache? Are there any plants or weeds that are bad for pigs? Have tried to Google this info but found it hard to find anything for UK plants. I live in the south of England. At what point should I call a vet out? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• pacousapacousa Junior Member
    edited November 2015
    how is their access to water, or the pallets could be old?
  • Joanna PJoanna P Junior Member
    edited November 2015
    Hi Pacousa, They have access to plenty of water which is topped up daily and cleaned regularly. They are fed fresh pig pellets twice daily and none are usually left uneaten. The bag of pellets is newly opened.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Whats their breathing like???
  • Joanna PJoanna P Junior Member
    edited November 2015
    Hi Stevie, Their breathing seems fine. The only thing that seems unusual is that they are not eating their pellets.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited November 2015
    When pigs are eating then there is definitely some thing up???
    Since you have said there water supply is good then it must be some thing wrong. Try missing a feed and see what happen, then if that don't work it got to be some thing else ie disease of some sort ie. Pneumonia??? First signs are not eating.