We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Pig Predators

JerJer Junior Member
edited September 2015 in General Pig Health
Hello...new to this site so forgive me if this has been covered. I have a question about pig predators. I purchased two GOS from a guy who said they were about 30 pounds. I predict they are closer to 15. I have them confined in an open topped enclosure. At what size are raccoons no longer a problem for piglets? The bandits are thick as thieves around here and always trying to get into my hen house at night. Don't want to go out some morning and see my two piglets dead or mauled. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    why not lock them in a shed with a concrete floor while they are small....and enjoy a good nights sleep rather than worrying about what the Raccoons are doing outside to your piglets. We on the other hand have foxes and I just set baits outside the piggery....... predators taken care of
  • JerJer Junior Member
    edited September 2015
    Thank you, blonde. Good advice - I do have something of a two part pen. The overnight pen which has an connecting door I close at night - has access to an inside enclosure. It's the inside one that is totally secure. As I wanted them to take care of their bathroom business in the outside enclosure, I asked about the raccoon situation. I think I'll keep locking them up for two or three more weeks to make sure. Thanks again!
  • blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Jer wrote:
    Thank you, blonde. Good advice - I do have something of a two part pen. The overnight pen which has an connecting door I close at night - has access to an inside enclosure. It's the inside one that is totally secure. As I wanted them to take care of their bathroom business in the outside enclosure, I asked about the raccoon situation. I think I'll keep locking them up for two or three more weeks to make sure. Thanks again!
    yes i think that is a good idea, once they are bigger the racoon wont bother them.