We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

PBP farrowing problem

jojosbunchesjojosbunches Junior Member
edited September 2015 in General Pig Health
I have a pot belly gilt who I'm a little worried about. She is due any day. Has not bagged out but is squirting milk. 2 days ago her vulva became SWOLLEN. She passed a bit of clear discharge and the next morning I found 2 very small under developed fetuses still in sacks.. The swelling has gone down a bit. There are still more babies moving around in her.. She doesn't seem to be stressed at all.. She is acting like her normal self. She is eating and drinking and walking around.

Our local farm vet is out for a week. I don't keep any types of injectable on hand.

Comments

• blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    I have a pot belly gilt who I'm a little worried about. She is due any day. Has not bagged out but is squirting milk. 2 days ago her vulva became SWOLLEN. She passed a bit of clear discharge and the next morning I found 2 very small under developed fetuses still in sacks.. The swelling has gone down a bit. There are still more babies moving around in her.. She doesn't seem to be stressed at all.. She is acting like her normal self. She is eating and drinking and walking around.

Our local farm vet is out for a week. I don't keep any types of injectable on hand.
    parvo virus vaccine should have been given long before she was due, then you might have had fully developed live piglets now instead of dead ones. the rest might all be dead and she should be helped out by an internal investigation. rather than letting her walk around and feed and drink. If all the piglets are in the same state then she may end up with septisemia and death if they are not removed quickly and efficiently.