ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Lame Kune Kune

Green Counties Vets Junior Member
edited July 2015 in Vets and Producers
I am a farm vet and looking for any further advice on a 3yo M lame pig. He has been RHL lame for a couple of months. The first episode resolved without veterinary attention. When it reoccured the owner rang and I examined the pig. He appears non weight bearing at first but will run and weight bear without evidence of pain. I also cannot elicit a pain response on flexion or extension in any joint. No heat or swelling apart from a little around the fetlock, but marginal. Foot normal. Normal range of movement. Has not responded (at all) to 2 weeks of oral metacam and tylan. I am reluctant to X-ray as I don't think it will change much in terms of management but just be an unnecessary expense. Has any one come across this in a pet pig or in the Kune Kune breed? I am unconvinced that he is even painful. Advice welcome. My current plan is to stop all treatment and reintroduce long term pain relief if required.

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

The Commuter Pig Keeper - 5m Books