ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

pig cant get up.

co1073 Member
edited June 2015 in Vets and Producers
I have a gilt about 70 lbs and she was fine this morning running around the pen went over this evening and she was lying on her side and would not get up. She wags her tail and it is still curly, and if i lift the hind quarters she will sit like a dog. She is drinking and moving he legs but cant seem to get up. she is constantly sticking her tongue out like she is licking something.she is not grunting or making any other sounds either. She is drinking a little. I pulled her some grass and she would not eat it but opened a can of green beans and she ate all of them. She is having bowel movements but have not seen her urinate yet. she can sit up like a dog with help but if she tries to get up she falls over and cant get up. I took her temp with a digital thermometer it said 101 but it was my first time doing that so I may not have done it right. any suggestions

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Could be an middle ear infection and in which case she need a course of penicillin times 2 if long acting, time 3 if short acting. She must have water morning and night or you may be wasting your time as dehydration is the biggest killer not the infection. Treat a.s.a.p. to ensure she gets better.
  • co1073 Member
    edited June 2015
    Thanks. she is eating and drinking pretty good. She is a little better today is is sitting up better and staying up seated that is.
    edited June 2015
    Needs a good base to stand on ie Straw, so problem does not continually occur other wise will make the problem get worse. Hope she strays good and if a change let us know. Can tape legs if a problem etc.?????
  • co1073 Member
    edited June 2015
    I started her in penicillin short acting four days ago. I have given her 1 unit for the last 4 days. She still needs help getting up and she still will not use her back legs. Her back legs work she kicks them and moves them every time I have given her a shot. She is grunting and rooting around she has not done that in days., she is eating and drinking good and pooping and peeing good. every thing is good other than she will not use her back legs. while sitting you she moves them but if you pick up her hind end her legs just dangle.
    edited June 2015
    co1073 said:
    I started her in penicillin short acting four days ago. I have given her 1 unit for the last 4 days. She still needs help getting up and she still will not use her back legs. Her back legs work she kicks them and moves them every time I have given her a shot. She is grunting and rooting around she has not done that in days., she is eating and drinking good and pooping and peeing good. every thing is good other than she will not use her back legs. while sitting you she moves them but if you pick up her hind end her legs just dangle.
    Hmmmm........with her hind legs not working that is not a good thing. Just jab, feed and water her and see what happens and I wish you luck.
  • co1073 Member
    edited June 2015
    I noticed something else today. Her urine is gel like it is yellow and looks like a mixture of a jelly and urine.
    edited June 2015
    co1073 said:
    I noticed something else today. Her urine is gel like it is yellow and looks like a mixture of a jelly and urine.
    Urine or poo?????
  • co1073 Member
    edited June 2015
    Its her urine. Her poo is fine that has never changed.

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books