We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

New Weaner pig off feed, vomiting, diarrhea

ErinkErink Junior Member
edited May 2015 in General Pig Health
We just picked up 4 weaners on Monday. They were doing well yesterday but this morning I noticed one wasn't feeling well. He is off feed, was vomiting, with watery diarrhea. Still up, rooting, drinking water. I suspect that it's a combination of stress and feed change that has him feeling poorly. We've only been raising weaners seasonally for a few years now and have never had any health problems so I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing he can get over on his own with a bit of supportive care or if I should be more worried. He is 8 weeks old and from a reputable breeder so I assume he was in good health to begin with. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Erink wrote:
    We just picked up 4 weaners on Monday. They were doing well yesterday but this morning I noticed one wasn't feeling well. He is off feed, was vomiting, with watery diarrhea. Still up, rooting, drinking water. I suspect that it's a combination of stress and feed change that has him feeling poorly. We've only been raising weaners seasonally for a few years now and have never had any health problems so I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing he can get over on his own with a bit of supportive care or if I should be more worried. He is 8 weeks old and from a reputable breeder so I assume he was in good health to begin with. Any advice would be appreciated.

Could be stress, so keep an eye on him and if not improve \I would jab with Baytril. What colour is the scour??
  • masaarchiemasaarchie Junior Member
    edited May 2015
    mr. erik.

may be that is post weaning enteritis.
    is the scour is color gray or green? if it is. then your pig are infected of salmonella bacteria. most of the 8 weeks old pig are weak in salmonella bacteria. so better to give them electrolytes for their vomiting and also anti stress.
    administer antibiotic that indicate in their label that they can kill salmonella bacteria. better to give them long acting(L.A) antibiotic and also broad spectrum like oxytetracycline.