We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Questions About Hand Rearing Piglets

tyler116tyler116 Junior Member
edited May 2015 in General Pig Health
I tried posting this yesterday and it didn't seem to work, if I It ends up posting twice I'll delete it as soon as I notice.

I have some questions about hand Rearing piglets I would like to know the answers to, so I know how to do things if anything happens.

The breed is berkshire

1. How much milk will a piglet eat from birth to weaning? I'd like to buy bulk milk and freeze it. Also should I use goats milk or a sow milk replacer? What's the best sow milk replacer?

2. How much will they eat every feeding? There isn't much info online, it says feed every 2 hours but doesn't say how much to feed.

3. Should the dirt I offer the piglet be frozen, baked or microwaved to remove bacteria? Or just offer it fresh?

4. How long after birth do pigs get colostrum? (how long after birth would be "best" for the mom to reject or whatever unfortunate event happens)

5. I know you shouldn't change the type of milk a piglet is on, but say a piglet is accepted by mom from the beginning but after 1-2 weeks is abandoned how would you transition to milk replacer?

l probably have some more questions.

Ive raised cats, Will that experience be beneficial?

I'll setup a heated corner in my room. Heat lamp + dog bed

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited May 2015
    tyler116 wrote:
    I tried posting this yesterday and it didn't seem to work, if I It ends up posting twice I'll delete it as soon as I notice.

I have some questions about hand Rearing piglets I would like to know the answers to, so I know how to do things if anything happens.

The breed is berkshire

1. How much milk will a piglet eat from birth to weaning? I'd like to buy bulk milk and freeze it. Also should I use goats milk or a sow milk replacer? What's the best sow milk replacer?

2. How much will they eat every feeding? There isn't much info online, it says feed every 2 hours but doesn't say how much to feed.

3. Should the dirt I offer the piglet be frozen, baked or microwaved to remove bacteria? Or just offer it fresh?

4. How long after birth do pigs get colostrum? (how long after birth would be "best" for the mom to reject or whatever unfortunate event happens)

5. I know you shouldn't change the type of milk a piglet is on, but say a piglet is accepted by mom from the beginning but after 1-2 weeks is abandoned how would you transition to milk replacer?

l probably have some more questions.

Ive raised cats, Will that experience be beneficial?

I'll setup a heated corner in my room. Heat lamp + dog bed

To put a pig on sow replacer feed little put often and gradually increase and this is the same for feed.