We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Racing Bottle Piglets

tyler116tyler116 Junior Member
edited May 2015 in General Pig Health
I have some questions I would like to know the answers to, so I know how to do things if anything happens.

The breed is berkshire

1. How much milk will a piglet eat from birth to weaning? I'd like to buy bulk milk and freeze it. Also should I use goats milk or a sow milk replacer?

2. How much will they eat every feeding? There isn't much info online, it says feed every 2 hours but doesn't say how much to feed.

3. Should the dirt I offer the piglet be frozen, baked or microwaved to remove bacteria? Or just offer it fresh?

4. How long after birth do pigs get colostrum? (how long after birth would be "best" for the mom to reject or whatever unfortunate event happens)

l probably have some more questions.

Ive raised cats, Will this be beneficial to raising pigs?

I'll set up a heated corner in my room. Heat lamp + dog bed.

Thanks

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited May 2015
    tyler116 wrote:
    I have some questions I would like to know the answers to, so I know how to do things if anything happens.

The breed is berkshire

1. How much milk will a piglet eat from birth to weaning? I'd like to buy bulk milk and freeze it. Also should I use goats milk or a sow milk replacer?

2. How much will they eat every feeding? There isn't much info online, it says feed every 2 hours but doesn't say how much to feed.

3. Should the dirt I offer the piglet be frozen, baked or microwaved to remove bacteria? Or just offer it fresh?

4. How long after birth do pigs get colostrum? (how long after birth would be "best" for the mom to reject or whatever unfortunate event happens)

l probably have some more questions.

Ive raised cats, Will this be beneficial to raising pigs?

I'll set up a heated corner in my room. Heat lamp + dog bed.

Thanks

1. If you give too much milk it will cause it to have scour. Every 2 hours is good and just increase it as it grows.
    Goats milk is best as low in fat, cows has too much fat unless skimmed, and sow replacer is good, but costs.

2 Dirt to be given as is.

3 Piglets get colostrum straight away once farrowed and lasts about 12 hours. It is important that they get it as they are given antibodies against disease.

4. Raising cat may help in some ways???
  • tyler116tyler116 Junior Member
    edited May 2015
    Stevie G wrote:
    1. If you give too much milk it will cause it to have scour. Every 2 hours is good and just increase it as it grows.
    Goats milk is best as low in fat, cows has too much fat unless skimmed, and sow replacer is good, but costs.

2 Dirt to be given as is.

3 Piglets get colostrum straight away once farrowed and lasts about 12 hours. It is important that they get it as they are given antibodies against disease.

4. Raising cat may help in some ways???

Okay cool thanks, for 1. I meant the quantity they will eat from birth to weaning, so how much milk should I buy?
    edited May 2015
    tyler116 wrote:
    Okay cool thanks, for 1. I meant the quantity they will eat from birth to weaning, so how much milk should I buy?

Know what you meant, but can't give an exact figure as ain't ever measured it.
    Its a case of trail and error.
  • tyler116tyler116 Junior Member
    edited May 2015
    Stevie G wrote:
    Know what you meant, but can't give an exact figure as ain't ever measured it.
    Its a case of trail and error.

Do you have an estimate? I'd just like to but all milk at once, I'd rather but too much than not enough.
    edited May 2015
    Figure that I have found is up to 1kg of milk per pig per day equating to 40ml per suckle.