We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Giving pigs B12?

MyMonkiesMyMonkies Junior Member
edited May 2015 in General Pig Health
I am interested in trying one of our pigs out on B12. I need to get her an appetite boost! I am not having any luck finding anything locally, I'd have to order if I want something specifically for pigs. That leads me to a multi-part question....

Can I just give the pig a Vitamin B12 pill like I would buy for a human? Is there any difference? If I did that, do you know what dosage I would give?

If you don't think the pills would work, I have found an injectable B12 as well as a paste. Do you have any preference for one of those?

I am trying to steer away from injections as much as possible. This gilt had a prolapse a few weeks ago. Things look good now but we are trying to keep her as calm as possible if you know what I mean.

And finally, if B12 is recommended, how often do I give it? We are about 60 days out from fair.

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited May 2015
    MyMonkies wrote:
    I am interested in trying one of our pigs out on B12. I need to get her an appetite boost! I am not having any luck finding anything locally, I'd have to order if I want something specifically for pigs. That leads me to a multi-part question....

Can I just give the pig a Vitamin B12 pill like I would buy for a human? Is there any difference? If I did that, do you know what dosage I would give?

If you don't think the pills would work, I have found an injectable B12 as well as a paste. Do you have any preference for one of those?

I am trying to steer away from injections as much as possible. This gilt had a prolapse a few weeks ago. Things look good now but we are trying to keep her as calm as possible if you know what I mean.

And finally, if B12 is recommended, how often do I give it? We are about 60 days out from fair.

A pig has the same intestinal tract so what you give a human you can give to a pig.

If a pig has no appetite ten a lack of B12 may not be the problem
    What age is your pig. Some diseases give a lack of appetite???

Injection is my choice as you know it get the correct dose, but would use other way if suits.;)

Ask the manufacturer or read the label to know when and how long for (or ask the internet).
  • MyMonkiesMyMonkies Junior Member
    edited May 2015
    Thank you. I appreciate your input. I really haven't had too much worry about her having a disease issue being the reason for the lack of appetite but it could be possible.

We got her on 3/21. From there until 4/3 she was gaining an average of 1.6 pounds a day.

On 4/9 she had a really bad prolapse. She was penning with another pig & was very torn up when we got to her. She was in bad shape. :(

We didn't get her back on the scale again until 5/5. (She wouldn't go in the scale & we weren't pushing it intending to keep her calm & not straining.) From 4/3-5/5 her average daily gain was only .84.

With that said, I've been doing different things & I would bet that when we weigh again this week I will see it picking up again. I can "see" that she has put on some weight. I'm just afraid it might not be enough with the time lost while she wasn't feeling good. I'll let you know numbers when I get them.

She should be about 4 months old. She is going to fair in July.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited May 2015
    MyMonkies wrote:
    Thank you. I appreciate your input. I really haven't had too much worry about her having a disease issue being the reason for the lack of appetite but it could be possible.

We got her on 3/21. From there until 4/3 she was gaining an average of 1.6 pounds a day.

On 4/9 she had a really bad prolapse. She was penning with another pig & was very torn up when we got to her. She was in bad shape. :(

We didn't get her back on the scale again until 5/5. (She wouldn't go in the scale & we weren't pushing it intending to keep her calm & not straining.) From 4/3-5/5 her average daily gain was only .84.

With that said, I've been doing different things & I would bet that when we weigh again this week I will see it picking up again. I can "see" that she has put on some weight. I'm just afraid it might not be enough with the time lost while she wasn't feeling good. I'll let you know numbers when I get them.

She should be about 4 months old. She is going to fair in July.

There are products on the market to add growth, such as Sunglow or paylean.