We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Weaner weight

PrairieFarmerPrairieFarmer Junior Member
edited April 2015 in General Pig Health
When purchasing weaners, what is considerable an acceptable weaner weight for heritage breeds?

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited April 2015
    When purchasing weaners, what is considerable an acceptable weaner weight for heritage breeds?

Depends on their age??
  • PrairieFarmerPrairieFarmer Junior Member
    edited April 2015
    Okay. Tis true. I guess I'm confused (and new to pigs) as had originally always heard the 7 to 8 weeks and 40# for weaners. But now getting more standard for earlier ages weaners as I understand it. I guess, to be more specific, if I'm looking to purchase weaners to be going into a range situation (still with grain supplied) and ideally looking at heritage breeds, is there an ideal age and weight to be shooting for? I recently saw some weaners that were 15 to 17# and that seemed awfully small!
    edited April 2015
    The bigger a pig when you but it out the better it will do. Never let fattening pigs on pasture , so not sure at what weight is best, but wouldn't putting them out until on a fattening diet, so 15lb would be too light in theory.
  • PrairieFarmerPrairieFarmer Junior Member
    edited April 2015
    Well what does "a fattening pig" mean (sorry if a bunch of stupid questions, but have realized I know just enough to be dangerous! Ha).
    We are set up with feeders with grower food. And would keep them in smaller pen to start, but then let them into bigger pasture to forage and then still have access to grower food as well. Is that appropriate? My basic thing I'm trying to get at is, what weight (and then I guess age) should I be ideally looking to get with weaners when I'm planning to yes, give them free access to grower food, but also access to pasture?
    edited April 2015
    Well what does "a fattening pig" mean (sorry if a bunch of stupid questions, but have realized I know just enough to be dangerous! Ha).
    We are set up with feeders with grower food. And would keep them in smaller pen to start, but then let them into bigger pasture to forage and then still have access to grower food as well. Is that appropriate? My basic thing I'm trying to get at is, what weight (and then I guess age) should I be ideally looking to get with weaners when I'm planning to yes, give them free access to grower food, but also access to pasture?[/QUOTE

A fattening pig is some thing you would fatten to get it to a sellable weight. The key to keeping a pig to fatten out side is not just pen size but the accommodation and diet also. As long as you have these as well once it is weaned from mum, then you can keep it on paddocks out side.
    Hope that makes sense.