We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Weaner spinning in circles, falling down

PrairieFarmerPrairieFarmer Junior Member
edited May 2015 in General Pig Health
Hello.
Have a weaner that is spinning in circles, than falling down and shaking. Eventually gets up and walks around slowly. Not eating or drinking. Seems to have swollen eyes, one looks fairly shut.
Thoughts?

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Hello.
    Have a weaner that is spinning in circles, than falling down and shaking. Eventually gets up and walks around slowly. Not eating or drinking. Seems to have swollen eyes, one looks fairly shut.
    Thoughts?

Meningitis possibly. Needs antibiotics ie., penicillin and give it water as the biggest killer with this is dehydration.
  • PrairieFarmerPrairieFarmer Junior Member
    edited April 2015
    Thanks. Breeder took it back. I read through some of the diseases and that seemed like most likely scenario. Is meningitis easily spread through to other weaners?
    edited April 2015
    Thanks. Breeder took it back. I read through some of the diseases and that seemed like most likely scenario. Is meningitis easily spread through to other weaners?

No, usually hits individuals and a quick shot of LA penicillin soon puts them right.
  • PrairieFarmerPrairieFarmer Junior Member
    edited April 2015
    Okay thanks. Couldn't get any info out of grower when I expressed concerns. He just took all the weaners back. Wouldn't work with me. Didn't know if piglet had something they would all get or a one-off. Oh well!
    edited April 2015
    Penicillin(if the correct one) will cure it alone, but Metcam( an anti-inflammatory) will also help and will speed up the process. Not all pigs suffer this problem, but your suppliers herd obviously does, and if you know what it is then the cure is easy. Key in its solution is acting early, that is, once they have it not to delay treatment and knowing what strain you have as not all penicillins will work, just depends on what strain???:D
  • masaarchiemasaarchie Junior Member
    edited May 2015
    try to research gut edema diseases.
    as what you have said the signs and symptoms are circling movement, paddling movement, staggering gaits, convulsion, well feed weanling and sudden death.

in medication stevie G. is right. give penicillin and also long acting(L.A) medicine.
    give also electrolytes for energy booster and also dehydration.

energy is important in medicating animals. the body of animal has a nature defense mechanism. weak body has a weak immune system.