We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Pig getting fat on grass

PiggyAzaleaPiggyAzalea Junior Member
edited April 2015 in General Pig Health
Hello! I have a Juliana pig as a pet. She eats Mazuri pig food. Ever since our grass started coming in, she had been eating all day and getting fat. Should I stop giving her the pig feed and let her just eat the grass? Or would that not be enough for her? Thanks!

Comments

• piggygraciepiggygracie Junior Member
    edited April 2015
    I'm no expert, but I think you should continue the Mazuri. It may contain nutrients that the type of grass you have is lacking. Just make sure to feed the recommended amount & not more. I use a food dispensing ball to increase the time it takes my pig to eat the food.
    I would be more concerned about your grass. My pig destroyed mine & it has never recovered. Now- barren dirt/mud pit. Make sure to baby your grass- keep up with watering & maybe some organic compost fertilizer.
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Just reduce your pigs feed, as said grass alone won't have enough nutrients.
    Used to feed mine silage and reduced feed by about a quarter. And as grass gets less, then increase its feed. Feed to condition.