ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

FFA Show Pig Questions

Keet02 Junior Member
edited April 2015 in Pig Tales and Stories
We used to raise pigs over 10 years ago but we never showed any at the fair. My son has 2 show pig projects and both weigh approx. 90 pounds. We used the girth*girth*length / 400 formula to estimate. We have 99 days untill fair weigh in and we want to be in the heavy class which is up to 275 lbs. Are the pigs currently at the correct weight and should I limit feed them to keep them from getting to big?

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Keet02 said:
    We used to raise pigs over 10 years ago but we never showed any at the fair. My son has 2 show pig projects and both weigh approx. 90 pounds. We used the girth*girth*length / 400 formula to estimate. We have 99 days untill fair weigh in and we want to be in the heavy class which is up to 275 lbs. Are the pigs currently at the correct weight and should I limit feed them to keep them from getting to big?
    275 - 90 = 185. 185 divide by 99 = 1.86lb. Your pigs need to put on 1.86lb of weight per day to make target.
    Don't know if it helps, but don't suppose you know how long it took them to get to 99lbs???