We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Wheezing pig

dscelzadscelza Junior Member
edited March 2015 in General Pig Health
We have a 7 month old gilt who seems to have a wheezing problem when she gets excited, runs or stands in heat. We bought her to breed but are concerned with this wheezing. My question is two fold. A) If we keep her and breed her would there be a problem with her wheezing when she farrows and could this be passed on to her piglets? B) If we decide not to keep her, is she okay to slaughter for human consumption? Thank you

Comments

• Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Treat with antibiotics and then you can keep her for breeding and in doing so the piglets will not contract Pneumonia later, but if you don't then still treat her, but do not get rid of her until the withdrawal date is reached. Untreated means she may get worse and worst case she could die.
  • dscelzadscelza Junior Member
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for your reply......Talked with a local vet and he said it sounds more like an asthma problem than pneumonia since it only affects her during excess exercise or when she is in standing heat during the boar mount. She doesn't have any other symptoms for pneumonia other than the wheezing during that time. I think we have decided to keep one of the other pigs we got for a meat pig (who accidently got pregnant) and let this one go. I appreciate your answer so quickly.

This is what the vet said he thought it was.......bronchoconstriction
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited March 2015
    hadn't heard of it and never really noticed in in pigs, but suppose they must get it. Pneumonia come with laboured breathing, coughing etc., so if it doesn't have this then it must be the other.