ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

help.. seemingly healthy pigs died

David Jembuk Junior Member
edited October 2015 in PMWS and PDNS
I need help on identifying what disease that cause my pigs died and how to treat or prevent this.
Conditions:
Pigs that died were vary at age. From weaners, growers, to sows. Also not from the same pen. So its pretty much random in choosing its victim.

They did not die at the same time, but 1 dead in a day or two. In average, maybe 2 to 4 dies within a week. And this all started maybe 3 or 4 months ago.

When I open their corpse to look at the internal organs, mostly shows same sticky cheesy (it looks like melted cheese), spiders web like tissue between their liver and ulcer/stomach.
They died with no sign of sickness, good outer body figure and their appetite are generally good. Some still eating well about an hour or two before suddenly died. But some loose their appetite for a few days before they died. Body temp seems to normal when I checked one of them. So theres no fever.

Currently using charoen pokphand food and all kind of other factories feed additive, toxin binder, etc. Also adding antibiotics such as tiamulin, trimethropim, tylosin, sulfadiazine, and ctc within the feed.
vaccine micoplasma at 21day and hogcollera at 14days old.
Some vet once adviced me to "flush" the desease from the sow first. By giving the sow amoxcilin for a week. But it didnt seems to work.

Please help, anykind of help will be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Comments

• blonde Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    David Jembuk said:
    I need help on identifying what disease that cause my pigs died and how to treat or prevent this.
    Conditions:
    Pigs that died were vary at age. From weaners, growers, to sows. Also not from the same pen. So its pretty much random in choosing its victim.

They did not die at the same time, but 1 dead in a day or two. In average, maybe 2 to 4 dies within a week. And this all started maybe 3 or 4 months ago.

When I open their corpse to look at the internal organs, mostly shows same sticky cheesy (it looks like melted cheese), spiders web like tissue between their liver and ulcer/stomach.
    They died with no sign of sickness, good outer body figure and their appetite are generally good. Some still eating well about an hour or two before suddenly died. But some loose their appetite for a few days before they died. Body temp seems to normal when I checked one of them. So theres no fever.

Currently using charoen pokphand food and all kind of other factories feed additive, toxin binder, etc. Also adding antibiotics such as tiamulin, trimethropim, tylosin, sulfadiazine, and ctc within the feed.
    vaccine micoplasma at 21day and hogcollera at 14days old.
    Some vet once adviced me to "flush" the desease from the sow first. By giving the sow amoxcilin for a week. But it didnt seems to work.

Please help, anykind of help will be much appreciated.
    Thank you.
    What a concoction of things that are going in their feed. i would have thought the pellets would have had a binder in them....but i think feeding contaminated feed is not an option at all.
  • Mountain Junior Member
    edited October 2015
    That is interesting the way you describe the cheesy stuff in there, I bought two sows last february and when I slaughtered them I found such a material as you are describing in around the organs by the stomach.

I have raised and slaughtered many hogs now, and that is the first I had ever seen anything like that. There was also a notable smell associated with that and a lot of milky white fluid within the abdominal cavity as well. These two hogs were bought at the sale yard and brought home to slaughter, I only had them alive for the trip back up to the farm, they appeared to be healthy. These were wet sows still in milk weighing in from about 380 to 400 pounds. At first I thought maybe I had hit the stomach or something in gutting, but the stomach was untouched, when I got to the cheesy white weird stuff I knew there was something unusual going on.

We ate the hogs and it was great meat, I had never really thought about it since then until I read your post. I still have no idea what that may have been, but it sure sounds a lot like what you are describing. My initial thought while gutting was the possibility of some type of cancer. Now that you mention this, I may have to do some research....
  • blonde Senior Member
    I never eat a sick or injured or arthritic pig..... I always have the best pig in the paddock....I sell good pigs and if they look unwell i pull them aside and that is once in a "blue moon"  I run free range, free of hormones, drugs, chemicals and visitors that bring in problems...... would suggest you do the same..the health of your pigs is important to your income

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books