ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

New Pig Mommy.. Help!

Oliverxo Junior Member
edited February 2015 in Pig Tales and Stories
Hi,

So I am a new pig mommy and I think I am in over my head! My little pigs name is Oliver and he just turned 4 months old and he lives inside my home. I got him for Christmas so it has been about two weeks now. I got him from a woman who did not pay any attention to him at all so it was extremely hard the first few days until he completely warmed up to me. I can pet him all over but he does not want me to pick him up.. I tried working on picking him up a few times a day just so he gets used to it but his screaming doesnt stop.. Also, when I go to pick him up he "sprays" and its a horrific smell that i have to scrub to get rid of. Any tips on how to get him used to it? Do any pigs like to get picked up? There are a few more questions I have.. He just got all of his vaccines and I am going to get him neutered in 3 weeks. In the last few days he has become very "aggressive" I like to sit on the floor with him and rub his tummy and he walks around me and we play with a towel and he runs around like crazy but now all he wants to do is push his nose sooo hard into my skin and he began biting me pretty hard. I taught him no by putting my hand in front of his face to make him back away and i say "no" but this is just not working anymore. Today he bit me so hard on the hand I thought I was going to cry. It's definitely getting out of hand and I just dont know what to do. After he gets neutered will he calm down a bit? Any tips on how to stop this from continuing to happen? Right now, I am limiting his space on where he can go in my house because he likes to chase me and bite my ankles and also as soon as I let him out of his area he just completely forgets he is potty trained. I know this was alot.... I am just pretty over whelmed right now with him and need some advice...

Thanks!

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Neuting him will help, but male pig hold urine in their sheaths, which could be the result of your hand smelling??? Pigs are an outdoor animal rather than being indoors, so giving him space is important. Company is another good option as it may help to came him.:D
  • Oliverxo Junior Member
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for the advice. Will his aggressiveness towards me calm down once he's nuetered? It's to the point where I can't sit down with him anymore because he pretty much goes after me as soon as I tell him no, he's actually leaving marks on me...
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    Oliverxo said:
    Thanks for the advice. Will his aggressiveness towards me calm down once he's nuetered? It's to the point where I can't sit down with him anymore because he pretty much goes after me as soon as I tell him no, he's actually leaving marks on me...
    Yeah it may do.....have a piece of apply in your hand when you sit down with him and see if he will take that instead of nosing you. you need to distract him as pigs will nose cause that is what pigs do.

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

The Commuter Pig Keeper - 5m Books