ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

swollen pig face

blonde Senior Member
edited January 2015 in General Pig Health
What causes a pigs face between the eyes to swell. I would add a photo but dont know how to. The swelling goes over the nose, and gets bigger appearing as a ridge when looking side on to the pig. the pig continues to feed and drink, but its breathing is laboured. have a few pigs like this and dont know what I can do to cure the problem.. I dont tooth clip either....as this can cause the same effect. the swelling is NOT down on the nose or up around the ears ONLY between the eyes

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2015
    blonde said:
    What causes a pigs face between the eyes to swell. I would add a photo but dont know how to. The swelling goes over the nose, and gets bigger appearing as a ridge when looking side on to the pig. the pig continues to feed and drink, but its breathing is laboured. have a few pigs like this and dont know what I can do to cure the problem.. I dont tooth clip either....as this can cause the same effect. the swelling is NOT down on the nose or up around the ears ONLY between the eyes
    What age????? Can't see photo.:confused:
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Stevie G said:
    from spit to finisher and beyond to young sows. you have to be logged in and just click on it. it comes up.....had a heap of trouble putting it on.
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Stevie G said:
    wont matter what age, could not find out the problem but did notice is seems to be a boy problem shot 10 boars with swollen faces...got no idea why it would just attack the boar and not the sow Not one sow( young or old) on the farm has it, and every new case is a boar....very very odd!!!!!!!!
    :(