ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

SusieV Junior Member
edited September 2014 in Pig Tales and Stories
Hi,

I'm new to keeping pigs and joined this site to get a few tips. As a starter, what is the best breed to choose? I'm looking for one that's going to grow quite quick and be easyish to care for :) And what is the best time of year to get one (I'm in England)? Have I missed my chance this year?

Thanks,

Susie

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited August 2014
    SusieV said:
    Hi,

I'm new to keeping pigs and joined this site to get a few tips. As a starter, what is the best breed to choose? I'm looking for one that's going to grow quite quick and be easyish to care for :) And what is the best time of year to get one (I'm in England)? Have I missed my chance this year?

Thanks,

Susie
    Are you in or outdoor????
  • SusieV Junior Member
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for the reply Stevie.

I'm indoors, but I assume you mean the pigs ;) I was planning on the pigs being outdoors, but we've got a large shed that we could move them to if the weather gets too bad.
  • Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited September 2014
    SusieV said:
    Thanks for the reply Stevie.

I'm indoors, but I assume you mean the pigs ;) I was planning on the pigs being outdoors, but we've got a large shed that we could move them to if the weather gets too bad.
    Outdoor Landrace, Duroc, Large White cross or Saddleback, Oxford and Sandy's, Glouster Old spot, Tamworths, etc., and in LR X LW cross.

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books