ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Questions about Pen-G treatment for hogs

AndeeAggie Junior Member
edited September 2014 in Vets and Producers
I have 3 hogs I'm raising to butcher this fall. They're about 120 pounds right now. In the past two days they've developed some heavy panting/breathing and coughing. I want to vaccinate them with Penicillin (Pen G) and probably some B12 as well.

The recommended dosage is 1 ML per 100 pounds of body weight, so that would mean just slightly over 1 ml per injection. A neighbor who has raised hogs for decades told me to ignore the label and give them 5 ml injections for 3 days. He says the body will metabolize any excess PenG.

Also, any suggestions for containing the pigs while I administer the injections? I tried last night to do it myself, but couldn't hold them and inject them at the same time.

Also was suggested that I try terramycin as an alternative to penicillin. Thoughts on this?

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited August 2014
    AndeeAggie said:
    I have 3 hogs I'm raising to butcher this fall. They're about 120 pounds right now. In the past two days they've developed some heavy panting/breathing and coughing. I want to vaccinate them with Penicillin (Pen G) and probably some B12 as well.

The recommended dosage is 1 ML per 100 pounds of body weight, so that would mean just slightly over 1 ml per injection. A neighbor who has raised hogs for decades told me to ignore the label and give them 5 ml injections for 3 days. He says the body will metabolize any excess PenG.

Also, any suggestions for containing the pigs while I administer the injections? I tried last night to do it myself, but couldn't hold them and inject them at the same time.

Also was suggested that I try terramycin as an alternative to penicillin. Thoughts on this?
    Better giving too much than too little, but if you use more then you waste money.
    Jab in a small area ie. in gang way, in crush ,etc.
    Terramycin is thicker and harder to drawn in to a syringe and may have a longer with hold date, is is not as good an option, but if pen don't work try that.
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    slap shot, you will lose meds, but it gets the job done

I thought it was 1 mL per 75#'s, who is the maker of your pen-g

You could always go with a medicated feed additive like agromician (sp?)

can you get your hands on some brewers yeast from the horse isle and topdress their feed w/that along w/the B12 shot