ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Castration Tutorial Please?

TheFurTrapper Junior Member
edited February 2015 in Vets and Producers
Hey I have my first batch of piglets on it's way middle of next week. Could someone post a tutorial about how to castrate them as easily as possible?

Also, if there's another way to do it besides surgically I'd be interested to know. I'm assuming they are to small to use elastrator rings (for calves) on?

Thank's for your help in advance!

Comments

• I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    No bands for hogs

You can search youtube for vids

It will all depend on age of piglet. Some do them within 24 hrs of birth, we do ours 7 days old and some wait just too stupid late.

We do a two person system 1 person holds the pig with their back to their stomach with their hands around the hams to push up the testicals. The other person cleans the rump with iodine and make 1 cut to push it out and depening in method either you pull out completey or you pull extermely tight and cut the cord close to body by scraping the cord to make it clot. Do it to the other side. Iodine again and top coat with blue coat or screw worm spray. Check on them within a hour.
  • xlvet Junior Member
    edited December 2014
    TheFurTrapper said:
    Hey I have my first batch of piglets on it's way middle of next week. Could someone post a tutorial about how to castrate them as easily as possible?

Also, if there's another way to do it besides surgically I'd be interested to know. I'm assuming they are to small to use elastrator rings (for calves) on?

Ideally to castrate them within 96 hours.
  • pacousa Junior Member
    edited December 2014
    The best time to castrate a piglet is 48 to 72 hours after birth so one person can handle them alone and a lot less stress. If you clip the tail you want to do it before 72 hours because the bone hasn't formed yet and its easier on the piglet. All you have to do is hold the piglet upside down , head under arm pit , and push the testicles up toward the tail. Make a clean cut and pull them out, make sure you get everything. I wouldn't recommend using iodine beings it can house bacteria. Just give it an injection of pen or excede.
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    TheFurTrapper said:

I do the day they are born. Hold between knees, horizontal cut, take one out, same on the other side, spray with otoclens.....takes all of 2 secs. 2 days to heal. great milk from Mum much better idea!
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    TheFurTrapper said:

have you been successful in your castration or do you need further help

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books