ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Is this possible?????

I8Iggy Senior Member
edited November 2014 in Vets and Producers
I know you can make a teaser boar by cutting the lower section of the testical off and putting it back in the sack and stitch it up and let it heal.

However, is there a way you can "damage" the testical without cutting and they would not be able to make vieable sperm?

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited November 2013
    I8Iggy said:
    I know you can make a teaser boar by cutting the lower section of the testical off and putting it back in the sack and stitch it up and let it heal.

However, is there a way you can "damage" the testical without cutting and they would not be able to make vieable sperm?

A Vet normally cuts his tubes to stop the flow of sperm from his testicles, not by cutting a piece off his testicle.
    If squashed the testicles would stop producing sperm, but how squashed I thankfully don't know. VERY I would say and oh boy wouldn't it hurt, not just for hours, but weeks.....ouch!
    Least painful is the Vets method.
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    When I took our son to the swine unit. They show use that they cut the sack and pop out the tesiticle and cut the lower section off. Reinsert blue coat and stitch to make a teaser. Maybe this was the old fashion way???
    edited December 2013
    I8Iggy said:
    When I took our son to the swine unit. They show use that they cut the sack and pop out the tesiticle and cut the lower section off. Reinsert blue coat and stitch to make a teaser. Maybe this was the old fashion way???

Hmmmm.......... sounds very odd to me.:confused:
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Steve would they still produce a milk like substance when mounting the sow?

Having 2nd thoughts about son's boar. He'll be a yr old at the end of Jan. Have seen him mount 3 sows w/none being settled within the last 3 mths.

He's a pb berkshire. If that matters at all. Have seen solid contact between him and the sows. But they return back in heat.......:confused:
    edited December 2013
    [QUOTE=I8Iggy]Steve would they still produce a milk like substance when mounting the sow?

Having 2nd thoughts about son's boar. He'll be a yr old at the end of Jan. Have seen him mount 3 sows w/none being settled within the last 3 mths.

As mentioned are Vets cut the tubes, so don't know about the out come if done this way, but if he is serving the sows and they are not "holding" then it must work( or it is just luck and he is infertile!!!!:D )
    If it äin't broke then then don't fix it".:confused: :D
    And "there is more than one way to skin a cat"!:D
    So stay with it if is working!!!!
  • pig_woman85 Junior Member
    edited July 2014
    I worked for Hatfield pig farms for 4 years and did the vasectomies all the time. Very easy if you know what you are doing! ;)

They "shoot blanks" but will still leave what is a "plug" behind, like a gel looking glob that is formed to help hold in the semen when breeding the sow. But no babies!
  • rhodie Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Vasectomised boars (spermatic chord severed) will still produce seminal fluid, but not sperm, they are done very young so there is no unsafe period between the operation and when he can be used without the possibility of impregnating sows.
  • xlvet Junior Member
    edited November 2014
    I8Iggy said:
    What you saw when you took your son to the swine unit it was a epididymectomy.

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

The Commuter Pig Keeper - 5m Books