ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Does anyone else have a piggy that loves music?

FudgiesMom Junior Member
edited November 2014 in Pig Tales and Stories
My girl LOVES music! She especially loves when I sing to her. We have one song that we sing every night (a version of the Big Bang Theory's "Soft Kitty" affectionately reworded and titled "Soft Piggy") and it's to the point that I can sing that to her and it completely negates the need for tranquilizers during hoof trims or vet visits. We can give shots, do a full snout to tail exam, even take her temp so long as we're singing "Soft Piggy" and rubbing her belly. If either of those things cease (and no, belly rubs alone don't work!), we have a grumpy lady to contend with!

If she's going to stay in the house for a few hours, I'll put soft music on for her - she's partial to indie-alternative and country - and she stays very content. Is she unique in this or do others have pigs with a love for music?

Comments

• blonde Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    FudgiesMom said:
    My girl LOVES music! She especially loves when I sing to her. We have one song that we sing every night (a version of the Big Bang Theory's "Soft Kitty" affectionately reworded and titled "Soft Piggy") and it's to the point that I can sing that to her and it completely negates the need for tranquilizers during hoof trims or vet visits. We can give shots, do a full snout to tail exam, even take her temp so long as we're singing "Soft Piggy" and rubbing her belly. If either of those things cease (and no, belly rubs alone don't work!), we have a grumpy lady to contend with!

If she's going to stay in the house for a few hours, I'll put soft music on for her - she's partial to indie-alternative and country - and she stays very content. Is she unique in this or do others have pigs with a love for music?
    No she is not unique..... music gives pigs a sense of relaxation and comfort. Some of the big piggeries put music on early in the morning and turn it off at night at lights out . Some pig farmers reckon they breed better with music.... Also gives their mind something to do listening to music have thought about doing it here but would be difficult on an out door unit. so they listen to the wind as it wizzes past their ears.
  • knyaz Junior Member
    edited April 2014
    yes, my little one calm down when listening to musig too.
    not just any kind, metal wont work(i tried :P)