ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

penecillin

blonde Senior Member
edited March 2014 in Vets and Producers
can penecillin kill a litter if the sow is given a dose before she farrows?

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited October 2013
    blonde said:
    can penecillin kill a litter if the sow is given a dose before she farrows?

Never had it happen Blonde, but if you read your labels it states as to whether you can or can not inject a sow with a drug if she is pregnant.
    I always choose one that is safe.;)
    I always presumed that they just put that on there so you can't sue them if something happens, but.....???
    It is unlikely, but these things do happen.
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    Stevie G said:
    Never had it happen Blonde, but if you read your labels it states as to whether you can or can not inject a sow with a drug if she is pregnant.
    I always choose one that is safe.;)
    I always presumed that they just put that on there so you can't sue them if something happens, but.....???
    It is unlikely, but these things do happen.
    Bit difficult getting some things when the vet I use does not live in this country....but will persevere
    edited October 2013
    blonde said:
    Bit difficult getting some things when the vet I use does not live in this country....but will persevere

Thought john Karr live here??????
    And shouldn't make any difference any way as any of the Portec Vets will give you advice over the phone on what to use and will send it to you by courier, so don't understand the problem. :confused:
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    Stevie G said:
    And shouldn't make any difference any way as any of the Portec Vets will give you advice over the phone on what to use and will send it to you by courier, so don't understand the problem. :confused:
    vet has to pay you a visit before you can obtain any of the drugs...been out too long Stevie and things are changing around you
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    Stevie G said:
    empty out your inbox it is full
    edited October 2013
    blonde said:
    vet has to pay you a visit before you can obtain any of the drugs...been out too long Stevie and things are changing around you

Since when and don't believe it. Put in a drugs order and added Tylapharm with no problems, so don't see why??????????:confused:
    Funny thing is that left not long after so is probably still in the fridge doing nothing.
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited October 2013
    Stevie G said:
    Since when and don't believe it. Put in a drugs order and added Tylapharm with no problems, so don't see why??????????:confused:
    Funny thing is that left not long after so is probably still in the fridge doing nothing.
    It is a very new law
  • rhodie Senior Member
    edited March 2014
    The only reason for a sow dying as a result of a penicillin injection, is if she was allergic and suffered an anaphylactic reaction, procain penicillin can cause death if injected intravenously which is why you check you are not in a vein before injecting.

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books