ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Big pig?

ReeLynn Junior Member
edited August 2013 in Pig Tales and Stories
From a gilt litter. All 6 pigs were born rolly polly fat. This one was found dead away from nest.
My vet got some amusement from the size !
Thought I would share.
What do you think, genetics, feed??

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited July 2013
    ReeLynn said:
    From a gilt litter. All 6 pigs were born rolly polly fat. This one was found dead away from nest.
    Thought I would share.

Can't see pics, but a low litter is cause by pure or cross, age a mating and how you have feed her during this period, so more than the 2 factors.
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited July 2013
    Can't veiw it either.....:confused:
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited July 2013
    ReeLynn said:
    Thought I would share.
    What a massive piglet. I guess too much good feed. Once the piglets are fully formed all they do is grow. Mum will have had trouble no doubt delivering those.
  • edited July 2013
    Massive!!! Or really small hand?
  • Spider Junior Member
    edited August 2013
    Wow, that is a massive pig, I would have thought it were older, but sad to hear it was stillborn. I can imagine mom didn't have a fun time with the labor, was this her first time or have all of her litters been this size?