ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

tethering

blonde Senior Member
edited June 2013 in General Pig Health
Are you allowed tether your pigs? and if so what do you tether them with and where do you tether them?

Comments

• foxnews1995foxnews1995 Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    blonde said:
    Are you allowed tether your pigs? and if so what do you tether them with and where do you tether them?
    I tether pigs with a rope and tie them to a tree, this works for bigger pigs, but smaller ones tend to escape easily.
    (Little houdini)
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    For those who have the smaller bred of pigs you start off using a dog harness and as they grow then you move up to a rope harness, because the neck of the pig is way bigger then the dog.

At our fair you will see some of the guniea hogs on leashes like this.

We trained two F1 crosses to walk on the leash and the 1st 2 week you needed earplugs. But when they got use to it they were okay.
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    I8Iggy said:
    For those who have the smaller bred of pigs you start off using a dog harness and as they grow then you move up to a rope harness, because the neck of the pig is way bigger then the dog.

At our fair you will see some of the guniea hogs on leashes like this.

We trained two F1 crosses to walk on the leash and the 1st 2 week you needed earplugs. But when they got use to it they were okay.
    Interesting just thought I would put the question out there Do you see any cruelty with restraining them?
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    When you bring them to a public event, I would think they would fall under the leash laws that we have here in the States as well as poop and scoop laws..:D

Do you think it's right when you go to some of the county fair and watch the swine races?
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    I8Iggy said:
    When you bring them to a public event, I would think they would fall under the leash laws that we have here in the States as well as poop and scoop laws..:D

Do you think it's right when you go to some of the county fair and watch the swine races?
    We dont have county fairs nor do we have swine shows or races or judging

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books