ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Proud Mommy

I8Iggy Senior Member
edited August 2013 in Pig Tales and Stories
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy66/New2pigs/coke_zps42a28ca8.jpg

Coke had them while son and I were at the Dr.'s Office. 12 born alive and lost 2 due to them being stepped on by mom.

Comments

  • Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited March 2013
    I8Iggy said:
    http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy66/New2pigs/coke_zps42a28ca8.jpg

    Coke had them while son and I were at the Dr.'s Office. 12 born alive and lost 2 due to them being stepped on by mom.

    Your pigs look great. Obviously get well looked after.
    A credit to your son.:D
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Well Coke lost the the female runt of the litter yesterday. She did not step on this one. She was laying on her belly like she was asleep and hay covering her up which we though was strange, because Coke refused to allow our son to put any type of towel over her body when she was laying in the sun. She's got 9 now but all in all. Looking good for her 1st litter and being a 1st time mom. Now I need to get in there and make a creep feed room so Coke can't eat the pellets with antibodtics in them.
  • Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited March 2013
    I8Iggy said:
    Well Coke lost the the female runt of the litter yesterday. She did not step on this one. She was laying on her belly like she was asleep and hay covering her up which we though was strange, because Coke refused to allow our son to put any type of towel over her body when she was laying in the sun. She's got 9 now but all in all. Looking good for her 1st litter and being a 1st time mom. Now I need to get in there and make a creep feed room so Coke can't eat the pellets with antibodtics in them.

    Shame about the runt, but hopefully she will get better with age.
    Why are you feeding antibiotics in the piglets feed??????
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I8Iggy said:
    Well Coke lost the the female runt of the litter yesterday. She did not step on this one. She was laying on her belly like she was asleep and hay covering her up which we though was strange, because Coke refused to allow our son to put any type of towel over her body when she was laying in the sun. She's got 9 now but all in all. Looking good for her 1st litter and being a 1st time mom. Now I need to get in there and make a creep feed room so Coke can't eat the pellets with antibodtics in them.
    Wont they get all they need from Mum without using the antibiotics. I thought this was only used when they are weaned. I dont use this at all,
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    It's a show pig feed and it dosen't come any other way.
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I8Iggy said:
    It's a show pig feed and it dosen't come any other way.
    cant buy a creep from any one else without the antibiotics?
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    not made with micro pellets, we've tried using the sow's feed and they won't even touch it

    mom calls them to eat but they don't have any intreste in the grain feed that we feed the others with
  • Jaskom Junior Member
    edited March 2013
    Congrats on them! :D
  • foxnews1995foxnews1995 Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I only give antibiotics to pigs when they are,sick. Not when they are healthy.
    Because I dont want to breed any Anti-biotic-resistant-Bacteria:D :eek:

    Your Pigs look very nice though.
    What is the live weight on one of your gilts?
    Is it a Duroc? I heard Durocs squish alot of babies, but i think it just depends on the mother.
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    foxnews1995 said:
    I only give antibiotics to pigs when they are,sick. Not when they are healthy.
    Because I dont want to breed any Anti-biotic-resistant-Bacteria:D :eek:

    Your Pigs look very nice though.
    What is the live weight on one of your gilts?
    Is it a Duroc? I heard Durocs squish alot of babies, but i think it just depends on the mother.
    i think most pigs squish babies, but If they are good mums they do less damage or none at all. I farrow smaller than most and use this as a learning curve for mothering The lighter the weight the more forgiving it is on a baby pig I reckon. Been doing it a lot of years any way with good results. .
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Coke is a York/Duroc

    Akeim is a York/Hampshire

    We cut mom hog ration back a wk before she is due but beef up the missing protion with alfafa hay, beet pulp or rolled oats

    2.5 pound piglet is our aim. Son is the only one with small hands and the vet is an hr drive one way. So would rather them come here small and then make weight. They are close to 12 pounds each now. They will be weaned on April 6th. Trying to figure out right food portion for them now. They have a pen to eat feed and their mom can't be a hog. We hand feed from start to finish depending on weight requirements for a show.

    We learned our lesson on allowing a boar to be on a self feeder and we blew his front end out.

    Happy Easter to ALL!
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I8Iggy said:
    Coke is a York/Duroc

    Akeim is a York/Hampshire

    We cut mom hog ration back a wk before she is due but beef up the missing protion with alfafa hay, beet pulp or rolled oats

    2.5 pound piglet is our aim. Son is the only one with small hands and the vet is an hr drive one way. So would rather them come here small and then make weight. They are close to 12 pounds each now. They will be weaned on April 6th. Trying to figure out right food portion for them now. They have a pen to eat feed and their mom can't be a hog. We hand feed from start to finish depending on weight requirements for a show.

    We learned our lesson on allowing a boar to be on a self feeder and we blew his front end out.

    Happy Easter to ALL!
    yeah all they do is get massively big and lazy....then too heavy for any thing at all
  • Spider Junior Member
    edited August 2013
    Looks like you all have your hands full. Nine little piggies is a lot, but sorry about the loss of the others. They sure are cute as can be when they're that small and still learning everything!

Our Sponsors

Partners


Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books