ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Boar mounts, but doesn't ....

Melo Farms Junior Member
edited October 2012 in Vets and Producers
We've got a boar who has been very productive, but noticed something new to us .. and we've only been doing this for 2 years, so we need some insight. The boar mounted a sow, but his penis never 'presented'. He did finally ejaculate some, but much less than a normal mating session.

Any insight?

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Melo Farms said:
    We've got a boar who has been very productive, but noticed something new to us .. and we've only been doing this for 2 years, so we need some insight. The boar mounted a sow, but his penis never 'presented'. He did finally ejaculate some, but much less than a normal mating session.

Any insight?

Hi there, when you say "never presented", I presume you mean never got in the sow???
    If he didn't get in her then the amount of ejaculate is irrelevant.
    Volume will increase as a boar gets older, but then will decrease, but not a 2 years of age.
    To me if hes started doing that every time then it would be time to say" Goodbye".
    Ps you could offer assistance but to most that is not an option.:confused:
    I have seen young boars do this and when they do they are assisted, but if that fails then they go.
    Harsh, but true.

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books