We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

What breed of pigs are these?

iowajames2iowajames2 Junior Member
edited November 2009 in Pig Tales and Stories
These hogs seem to have a little longer hair on them than most meat hogs. These were given to me and they are very calm and gentle. They kind of look like a wild hog to me but I do not believe they are.

You can click on the photo to see a larger image.

th.d18d7d4b32.jpg

Comments

• Madisons' MomMadisons' Mom Senior Member
    edited January 2007
    I can't really tell from the pic but I would GUESS the front one is Duroc and the back one is a blue butt.
  • iowajames2iowajames2 Junior Member
    edited January 2007
    I was almost sure the brown one was a duroc, that just confirms it. Thanks, James
  • S NantzS Nantz Member
    edited January 2007
    The front one is Definately a Duroc and the "blue butt".. is a York/Hamp Cross.
  • **showgurl****showgurl** Junior Member
    edited April 2007
    the pig in the back is indeed a blue butt but the one in the front is probably a duroc cross because durocs ears are not erect they flop down.....

**showgurl**;)
  • rickpigrickpig Junior Member
    edited July 2007
    the back one must be a yorkshire cross. i have some just like the one in the pic.
  • hogwild1631hogwild1631 Junior Member
    edited July 2007
    The front one to me looks like a Duroc X because as showgurl said, the ears on Durocs are normally floppy.

The back one is a York X ... I've found that some breeders get really irritated when kids call them "bluebutts" because its technically not a pure breed but a cross. Oh well.
  • farmerdanfarmerdan Junior Member
    edited January 2009
    most of the pig's white but the hams are grey to blue
  • wallyworldpigswallyworldpigs Junior Member
    edited November 2009
    hi everyone

I was wondering if any of you had any idea what kind of breeds are in these pigs. We bought them from a widow and her husband died in a fire to their house while she was visiting her parents and all the papers on the pigs were burned as well and she had no idea what breeds were in them... any ideas?

Thanks
  • Stevie GStevie G Super Moderator
    edited November 2009
    The first one could be Hampshire/Berkshire X Large White cross, the second one is a duroc X Hamp/Berkshire. Something in that order, anyway.
    In the UK a "Bluebutt" is a Hampshire X Large White cross commonly called a "Hampen".