ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

How much to feed??

ccmso12 Junior Member
edited September 2012 in PMWS and PDNS
I have a mini micro pig who is 25 lbs and 1 year old. I have been feeding him according to something I read that said 1/2C pig food per 25lbs of weight divided into 2 feedings.

So Mr. Pig is getting 1/4 C twice daily . . .this just not seem like enough as he acts like he is starving all the time (however this could be normal pig behavior then) . . .what are your thoughts. We have had Mr. Pig for about a month now. He also gets 3 small bell peppers, 1 sliced apple, 1 sliced banana, 1 sliced carrot, 1 sliced celery and then whatever peices from veg prep I through into his salad bucket divided into his 2 feedings daily also.

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited July 2012
    ccmso12 said:
    I have a mini micro pig who is 25 lbs and 1 year old. I have been feeding him according to something I read that said 1/2C pig food per 25lbs of weight divided into 2 feedings.

So Mr. Pig is getting 1/4 C twice daily . . .this just not seem like enough as he acts like he is starving all the time (however this could be normal pig behavior then) . . .what are your thoughts. We have had Mr. Pig for about a month now. He also gets 3 small bell peppers, 1 sliced apple, 1 sliced banana, 1 sliced carrot, 1 sliced celery and then whatever peices from veg prep I through into his salad bucket divided into his 2 feedings daily also.

A pig should be feed to condition and never be to thin or fat.
    Commercial sow is feed approx. 2kg/day approx. at approx. 200kg so your pig would need alot less, say 1/4 of a kg.
    If she seems still hungry after feeding then give her a little bit more, but not too much.
    Feeding fruit and veg is a healthy added bonus.:D
  • secuono Junior Member
    edited September 2012
    I don't believe in 'micro' or 'mini' PBs, most breeders under feed and flat out lie about age and proper feeding. There's always the excepting, can only hope for that.

How do you know the pig is a year old, other than here say? Is he fully developed, tusks, testicles, etc?

Pigs are always wanting more food, but half a cup for a 25lbs animal...what?? Even dogs get fed more than that. I would feed him 2 cups a day for a month and see if he is growing or getting fat off that. If he is getting fat/wider, I'd cut it to 1.5 cups.
    I'm wondering, if you fed him more, would he still grow or is he now stunted...
  • Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited September 2012
    secuono said:
    I don't believe in 'micro' or 'mini' PBs, most breeders under feed and flat out lie about age and proper feeding. There's always the excepting, can only hope for that.

How do you know the pig is a year old, other than here say? Is he fully developed, tusks, testicles, etc?

Pigs are always wanting more food, but half a cup for a 25lbs animal...what?? Even dogs get fed more than that. I would feed him 2 cups a day for a month and see if he is growing or getting fat off that. If he is getting fat/wider, I'd cut it to 1.5 cups.
    I'm wondering, if you fed him more, would he still grow or is he now stunted...

Its a case of trial and error.
    As you say don't wnt it too fat or too thin, so yes feed to condition.

A to a micro, as you rightly say they don't exist.

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

The Commuter Pig Keeper - 5m Books