ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

semen

BlueButt Senior Member
edited July 2012 in PMWS and PDNS
Can semen be checked for the diseases mentioned on this site and if so - how?

Can the eggs collected by the various farms also go through a cleaning process? Or does this not exist in the animal world?

How do the diseases live for survive in semen or the egg...?

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited June 2012
    BlueButt said:
    Can semen be checked for the diseases mentioned on this site and if so - how?

Can the eggs collected by the various farms also go through a cleaning process? Or does this not exist in the animal world?

How do the diseases live for survive in semen or the egg...?

Yes.

It is usually taken from a farm with a higher(no disease) or the same health status(same diseases) and each farms health statuses are monitored regularly by a Vet.

They just do. What the liquid/fluid is made up of allows them to live.
  • BlueButt Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Stevie G said:
    Yes.

It is usually taken from a farm with a higher or the same health status and each farms health statuses are monitored regularly by a Vet.

They just do. What the liquid/fluid is made up of allows them to live.
    can you elaborate in a little more detail on the answer to this question?
    edited June 2012
    BlueButt said:
    can you elaborate in a little more detail on the answer to this question?

I will do later as I need to go and mow the lawn.:D
  • BlueButt Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Stevie G said:
    I will do later as I need to go and mow the lawn.:D
    thanks that would be great, I await your reply!
    edited June 2012
    BlueButt said:
    thanks that would be great, I await your reply!

Seaman only comes from a "high Health status" farm which means no disease so there should be no diseases present.
    Vet visits and blood tests are used to check on the presence of disease are are sent to a lab to be cultivated.
    If persons notice anything suspious on farm then the Vet will be called to examine the problem and take tests.
    A diluent(nutrient) is needed inorder to keep the seamen alive for 4 to 7 days and bacteris/viruses could, if present, survive in this.
    Should not be disease present but it has happen and nothing is ever 100% guaranteed.:D
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    [QUOTE=Stevie G]Seaman only comes from a "high Health status" farm which means no disease so there should be no diseases present.
    Vet visits and blood tests are used to check on the presence of disease are are sent to a lab to be cultivated.
    If persons notice anything suspious on farm then the Vet will be called to examine the problem and take tests.
    A diluent(nutrient) is needed inorder to keep the seamen alive for 4 to 7 days and bacteris/viruses could, if present, survive in this.
    Should not be disease present but it has happen and nothing is ever 100% "seamen" are sailors who ride the high seas...not ride high health status farms:D
    edited June 2012
    blonde said:
    [quote=Stevie G]Seaman only comes from a "high Health status" farm which means no disease so there should be no diseases present.
    Should not be disease present but it has happen and nothing is ever 100% "seamen" are sailors who ride the high seas...not ride high health status farms:D

They both dress in white though,hey Blonde.:D
  • BlueButt Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Stevie G said:
    [quote=blonde]

They both dress in white though,hey Blonde.:D
    I dont think "semen" wear white do they Stevie..I think they come in glass or plastic bottles once they are removed from the boar. Go down a glass or plastic tube in to the sow......nothing white about that just very very dark. To do their job of fertilizing the eggs.. and producing babies...... who might be wrapped in a white towel at some point in their tiny lives...if and when they have been hand fed!!!.
    edited July 2012
    BlueButt said:
    [quote=Stevie G]
    I dont think "semen" wear white do they Stevie..I think they come in glass or plastic bottles once they are removed from the boar. Go down a glass or plastic tube in to the sow......nothing white about that just very very dark. To do their job of fertilizing the eggs.. and producing babies...... who might be wrapped in a white towel at some point in their tiny lives...if and when they have been hand fed!!!.

Obviously never had the oppurtunity to collect AI, hey Bluebutt, as you would know what colour it is.
    Usually by the time it reaches you it in a solution that provides it with nutrients and not in its original form, lumpy and white.:D
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    You need to be clean.

Son had a sow that was way bigger then his boar and that was when we collected. But if you going to collect and sell you need him to be trained on a dumb.

You can use a foam cup with a piece of cheese cloth. Some put a rubber band around the top to keep the cheese cloth from falling into cup. Once you collect, you need to have some extender on hand. Now the extender and the semen need to be spot on in temp so you can mix the two and not kill the sperm. Once this is done, we only seen plastic bottles and rods. I sure would not want to use a glass rod in a sow in AI(ing). Semen is "normal" good for 7 days IF you keep it at the right temp and turn (gently) a min of two times a day. We've seen the semen sloution seprate when you don't turn it enough or the temps get too high. A microscope is good to have on hand to see how well they are swimming.

You can buy extender for any place that sells AI(ing) supplies or even from the boar companies themselves if they have a supply store on their site.

Some boar site color their semen, so they what breed the semen comes from.

Sorry for all the miss spelling....lack of sleep or coffee don't know which.
    edited July 2012
    I8Iggy said:
    You need to be clean.

Son had a sow that was way bigger then his boar and that was when we collected. But if you going to collect and sell you need him to be trained on a dumb.

You can use a foam cup with a piece of cheese cloth. Some put a rubber band around the top to keep the cheese cloth from falling into cup. Once you collect, you need to have some extender on hand. Now the extender and the semen need to be spot on in temp so you can mix the two and not kill the sperm. Once this is done, we only seen plastic bottles and rods. I sure would not want to use a glass rod in a sow in AI(ing). Semen is "normal" good for 7 days IF you keep it at the right temp and turn (gently) a min of two times a day. We've seen the semen sloution seprate when you don't turn it enough or the temps get too high. A microscope is good to have on hand to see how well they are swimming.

You can buy extender for any place that sells AI(ing) supplies or even from the boar companies themselves if they have a supply store on their site.

Some boar site color their semen, so they what breed the semen comes from.

Sorry for all the miss spelling....lack of sleep or coffee don't know which.

Collecting semen.
    Wow Piggy what ever next.:confused:
    Not the most pleasantest of jobs hey.:D
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    4H projects....:D ......them 4H leaders can't say that our son's books are like the run of the mill.

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

The Commuter Pig Keeper - 5m Books