ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Hi, New here.

Swineheart Member
edited July 2012 in "Off Your Chest"
I thought I'd jump in with a question. What are your thoughts on heritage breeds? Berkshire, Tamworth etc. and crossing them over more commercialized breeds?

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Swineheart said:
    I thought I'd jump in with a question. What are your thoughts on heritage breeds? Berkshire, Tamworth etc. and crossing them over more commercialized breeds?

Pures will mean a higher starting cost, but yes, well worth considering, but choose your breeds carefully so that they meet the market you are trying to supply.
    What sort of plan do you have???:confused:
  • rhodie Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    The Gloster Old Spot pork sold in a high end supermarket are actually a pure boar over a commercial Landrace/Duroc damline from a top breeding company. The more prolific damline helps toward a better profit with larger litters, leaner carcases and more rapid growth partly due to the breed traits, and partly due to heterosis.
  • Swineheart Member
    edited May 2012
    I've got a hampshire gilt that was covered by a bluebutt, ready to drop piglets a yorkxduroc gilt and a young purebred berkshire boar. I don' t really have a plan per'se. Just doing it because I like raising my own livestock. I think I'd like to have purebred yorkshire gilts with the berkshire but I'm not sure, I don't know enough yet. :confused:
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Swineheart said:
    I've got a hampshire gilt that was covered by a bluebutt, ready to drop piglets a yorkxduroc gilt and a young purebred berkshire boar. I don' t really have a plan per'se. Just doing it because I like raising my own livestock. I think I'd like to have purebred yorkshire gilts with the berkshire but I'm not sure, I don't know enough yet. :confused:
    Ask lots of questions on this site and you will get a heap of answers
    edited May 2012
    Swineheart said:

Is this to farrow outside or in???

Is a Yorkie not another name for a Large white, which is an indoor pig and not hardy enough for outdoors(depends on soil type and Climate??)

Just things to consider?:D
  • Swineheart Member
    edited May 2012
    I'm not sure if large white is the same or not, definitely not the middle white. Could be I suppose but I thought they were different? Yes though. I like duroc too but I think they're shorter end to end.

I do let my pigs range but they have shelter. Funny, I can always tell when the weather is going to turn for the worse, my pigs gather swamp grasses and sticks to bed down. They will go fair distances to get just the right materials. They'll root a large depression in the barn if its going to get cold and fill it half way with straw and sticks in winter.

I've got approximately 6 acres with a stream flowing through it. I have them enclosed in about an acre and a half now which chokes down to a point at the stream so they can drink from it if they chose, and they do prefer it to water standing in a tank. The stream and bank have large rocks for its base so they don't disturb it at all. I'm going to give them another acre at least to roam and feed on. They really love the fresh greens and roots not to mention a small marsh area the young grasses grow nearly as fast as they can pick and eat them. The high ground they've worked over during fall and winter mostly.

Anyway, I'm looking for a hardy cross that will gain well without being too long to get there. The fellow I bought my berkshire from said they take a few months longer to make butcher weight so I'm not sure how long I'll keep the berkshire boar. As I said, I don't really know what I want to do or perhaps I just don't know what to do really. Raise pigs, I can do... maybe not the best at doing it but I can do it.

I feed 80% ground corn, 20% ground soybean and add about 8 to 10 pounds of trace mineral salt... to make 1000 pounds of feed. I'm thinking of changing up a bit and putting in some ground wheat in place of some of the corn. I also put out mineral blocks for my pigs so I could get by without the trace mineral salt addition. I don't use PayLean or other growth enhancers.

So... how am I doing so far? :confused: :D
  • Swineheart Member
    edited May 2012
    I Really like the looks of a true spot pig though....
    edited May 2012
    Swineheart said:
    I Really like the looks of a true spot pig though....

To get a faster growing pig what you already have there should give you what you need.
    If you take your Yorkie X Duroc gilt and cross it with your Berkshire boar then you would have a hardier and faster growing pig.
    Alternatively you could cross your Blue butt X Hampshire gilt with your berkshire boar, only when you say "Blue butt" does thids mean its a Yorkie X Hampshire crossed back to a Hampshire????
    If that were the case then it would be ok to cross with your Berkshire boar, as it would remain only a 3 way cross.
    It is definitely not a good idea to have a 4 way cross as you start loosing Heterosis, better DLG and FCR.
    Normal commercial pigs are a LR X LW X Duroc cross outdoors(and sometimes indoors as in Australia, but not the UK), so to me a Yorkie(which is an English Large white that comes from Yorkshire, hence the name) X Duroc gilt crossed with a Berkshire boar would be the closest to that cross.
    Food for thought.:confused:
    Alternatively you could go with Rhodies suggestion of a Glouster Old Spot(tell Rhodies not English by his spelling;) ) boar crossed with an Landrace/Duroc, but that would mean getting new blood in???
  • Swineheart Member
    edited May 2012
    Thank you Stevie, I will work with what I have then. I still need to learn more about crosses and whatnot.
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Swineheart said:
    I'm not sure if large white is the same or not, definitely not the middle white. Could be I suppose but I thought they were different? Yes though. I like duroc too but I think they're shorter end to end.

I do let my pigs range but they have shelter. Funny, I can always tell when the weather is going to turn for the worse, my pigs gather swamp grasses and sticks to bed down. They will go fair distances to get just the right materials. They'll root a large depression in the barn if its going to get cold and fill it half way with straw and sticks in winter.

I've got approximately 6 acres with a stream flowing through it. I have them enclosed in about an acre and a half now which chokes down to a point at the stream so they can drink from it if they chose, and they do prefer it to water standing in a tank. The stream and bank have large rocks for its base so they don't disturb it at all. I'm going to give them another acre at least to roam and feed on. They really love the fresh greens and roots not to mention a small marsh area the young grasses grow nearly as fast as they can pick and eat them. The high ground they've worked over during fall and winter mostly.

Anyway, I'm looking for a hardy cross that will gain well without being too long to get there. The fellow I bought my berkshire from said they take a few months longer to make butcher weight so I'm not sure how long I'll keep the berkshire boar. As I said, I don't really know what I want to do or perhaps I just don't know what to do really. Raise pigs, I can do... maybe not the best at doing it but I can do it.

I feed 80% ground corn, 20% ground soybean and add about 8 to 10 pounds of trace mineral salt... to make 1000 pounds of feed. I'm thinking of changing up a bit and putting in some ground wheat in place of some of the corn. I also put out mineral blocks for my pigs so I could get by without the trace mineral salt addition. I don't use PayLean or other growth enhancers.

So... how am I doing so far? :confused: :D
    Well If you put down mineral blocks and they are using them that is probably fine.
    A little wheat in the mix and a little straw crushed is a good idea. big sows dont need a huge amount of high protein, where as growers need their protein to get to market quick. If you are raising for yourself then a little longer is neither here nor there, but to meet a market it is imperative that you meet the time so diets are important.
    edited May 2012
    blonde said:
    Well If you put down mineral blocks and they are using them that is probably fine.
    A little wheat in the mix and a little straw crushed is a good idea. big sows dont need a huge amount of high protein, where as growers need their protein to get to market quick. If you are raising for yourself then a little longer is neither here nor there, but to meet a market it is imperative that you meet the time so diets are important.

Need to ask you about certain substitute ingredients besides the ones normally use in a pigs diet ie wheat, Barley, Soyabean meal, fish meal, etc., as I would like to learn more about diets and as you have a nutritionist to hand;) it may be handy.
    Don't have time to night as must be up at 4 am, so will try tomorrow.:o
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Stevie G said:
    Need to ask you about certain substitute ingredients besides the ones normally use in a pigs diet ie wheat, Barley, Soyabean meal, fish meal, etc., as I would like to learn more about diets and as you have a nutritionist to hand;) it may be handy.
    Don't have time to night as must be up at 4 am, so will try tomorrow.:o
    Why do you need to learn more about diets, when you drive a truck...... trucks dont run on barley, soya bean meal, fish meal etc. Stevie...they run on Diesal!!!!
    edited May 2012
    blonde said:
    Why do you need to learn more about diets, when you drive a truck...... trucks dont run on barley, soya bean meal, fish meal etc. Stevie...they run on Diesal!!!!

Biofuel actually Blonde.;) :D
    I just have an interest in learning new things and you never know what the future will bring, so its always best to keep my options open.:)
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Stevie G said:
    Biofuel actually Blonde.;) :D
    I just have an interest in learning new things and you never know what the future will bring, so its always best to keep my options open.:)
    You want to run the truck on methane collected from the ponds of piggeries. I dont have a pond on the farm....... but I guess you could collect up all the manure and store it in a below ground unit and collect the methane as it breaks down.....would do the same job......but I guess there is always someone else that is going to have one hand in your back pocket while ever you try to do something different.....
    edited May 2012
    blonde said:
    You want to run the truck on methane collected from the ponds of piggeries. I dont have a pond on the farm....... but I guess you could collect up all the manure and store it in a below ground unit and collect the methane as it breaks down.....would do the same job......but I guess there is always someone else that is going to have one hand in your back pocket while ever you try to do something different.....

Don't ultimately plan on staying with truck driving Blonde as Iam a little bit bored with it and want a better challenge.
    May go back to the pigs if I was offered something descent and there are a few jobs there, just not so stuck on the locations.
    Just need to refresh and/or up grade my knowledge that is all.:confused: :D
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Stevie G said:
    Don't ultimately plan on staying with truck driving Blonde as Iam a little bit bored with it and want a better challenge.
    May go back to the pigs if I was offered something descent and there are a few jobs there, just not so stuck on the locations.
    Just need to refresh and/or up grade by knowledge that is all.:confused: :D
    have you thought about going in to cattle or sheep or taking on something totally different. Pigs might be your first choice, so have a look at the email I sent..... might be food for thought
    edited May 2012
    blonde said:
    have you thought about going in to cattle or sheep or taking on something totally different. Pigs might be your first choice, so have a look at the email I sent..... might be food for thought

Chicken yes(would prefer organic or free range, but have seen a job in WA as a breeder and am thinking of applying for it over the week end.
    Sheep work I have done before, but nothing happens most of the year until of course lambing time and then too much.
    As to cattle no never as your rear, feed and send and besides aaaa I won't want to seend them to be slaughtered Over seas as they are to cruel, so my conscience would prick me.
    Will check your email and consider.:D
    edited May 2012
    Stevie G said:
    Chicken yes(would prefer organic or free range, but have seen a job in WA as a breeder and am thinking of applying for it over the week end.
    Sheep work I have done before, but nothing happens most of the year until of course lambing time and then too much.
    As to cattle no never as your rear, feed and send and besides aaaa I won't want to seend them to be slaughtered Over seas as they are to cruel, so my conscience would prick me.
    Will check your email and consider.:D
    Ps. Been there seen that Blonde and have a degree in Agriculture.
    I have always been a hands on person and would like to move a step up which means understanding production inside and out, but can do it but need proof of that so I need a few figures ie cost of feed diet, bit more info. on genetics, price pigs are being paid per kilo, etc.
    Don't need to go over what I have already done thanks Blonde.;) :D
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Stevie G said:
    Ps. Been there seen that Blonde and have a degree in Agriculture.
    I have always been a hands on person and would like to move a step up which means understanding production inside and out, but can do it but need proof of that so I need a few figures ie cost of feed diet, bit more info. on genetics, price pigs are being paid per kilo, etc.
    Don't need to go over what I have already done thanks Blonde.;) :D
    But it was not done yesterday....... this course is on the latest material..... You could get in touch with Paul and have a chat to him. Some things have change since you did you degree...... no doubt
    edited May 2012
    blonde said:
    But it was not done yesterday....... this course is on the latest material..... You could get in touch with Paul and have a chat to him. Some things have change since you did you degree...... no doubt

Don't really need that sort of info. Blonde just want to clarify some info. to ensure that I am correct with my info. as and when I send it off ie Price of certain feeds, what 2006 semen is(think its large white) and what X15(or is that 15X) think its Duroc and what is the current price of starter, weaner, lactating sow feed cost is and the current price of a pig per kg DW, etc......That sort of thing.;) :D
    Done the college bit.
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    [QUOTE=Stevie G]Don't really need that sort of info. Blonde just want to clarify some info. to ensure that I am correct with my info. as and when I send it off ie Price of certain feeds, what 2006 semen is(think its large white) and what X15(or is that 15X) think its Duroc and what is the current price of starter, weaner, lactating sow feed cost is and the current price of a pig per kg DW, etc......That sort of thing.;) :D
    try the country hour for some of the information, or the farm weekly. or the local farm paper that they produce in QLD
    edited May 2012
    blonde said:
    [quote=Stevie G]Don't really need that sort of info. Blonde just want to clarify some info. to ensure that I am correct with my info. as and when I send it off ie Price of certain feeds, what 2006 semen is(think its large white) and what X15(or is that 15X) think its Duroc and what is the current price of starter, weaner, lactating sow feed cost is and the current price of a pig per kg DW, etc......That sort of thing.;) :D
    try the country hour for some of the information, or the farm weekly. or the local farm paper that they produce in QLD

Was hoping you were going to make it very easy for me and just give me the answers Blonde, as I thought you were in the KNOW????;) :D
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Stevie G said:
    [quote=blonde]

Was hoping you were going to make it very easy for me and just give me the answers Blonde, as I thought you were in the KNOW????;) :D
    That is rather lazy don't you think ....do your own home work....... I am not here to do that for you.... why dont you ring some of the feed mills in QLD and the abattoir....they will give you some of what you want. As for semen I have absolutely no idea! Besides the rates are different in each state. You can look up grain prices on the internet..... CBH or the Grain Pool is a good start. The additives you will find from a company that either provides them or makes up diets. That being the case you can ask about all the diets, from creep, weaner, grower, finisher, lac sow, dry sow,
    barrow feed

Grains grown.....barley, wheat, lupins, oats, rye, cotton meal, canola,

Imports corn, soya meal,

Happy Hunting Stevie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited May 2012
    blonde said:
    [quote=Stevie G]That is rather lazy don't you think ....do your own home work....... I am not here to do that for you.... why dont you ring some of the feed mills in QLD and the abattoir....they will give you some of what you want. As for semen I have absolutely no idea! Besides the rates are different in each state. You can look up grain prices on the internet..... CBH or the Grain Pool is a good start. The additives you will find from a company that either provides them or makes up diets. That being the case you can ask about all the diets, from creep, weaner, grower, finisher, lac sow, dry sow,
    barrow feed

Grains grown.....barley, wheat, lupins, oats, rye, cotton meal, canola,

Imports corn, soya meal,

Happy Hunting Stevie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At what sort of time will I get time to do that hey Blonde????:(

Had you down as the sort of person that had your finger on the pulse Blonde.:D
    How wrong was I???:rolleyes:
    Very, very, very, very, very...................................................................very!
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Stevie G said:
    [quote=blonde]

At what sort of time will I get time to do that hey Blonde????:(

Had you down as the sort of person that had your finger on the pulse Blonde.:D
    How wrong was I???:rolleyes:
    Very, very, very, very, very...................................................................very!
    I do have my finger on the pulse, but you can do your own homework.....Give you something to do at night instead of sitting on the couch...... slouching........watching the idiot box...... hey Stevie.
    edited May 2012
    blonde said:
    [quote=Stevie G]I do have my finger on the pulse, but you can do your own homework.....Give you something to do at night instead of sitting on the couch...... slouching........watching the idiot box...... hey Stevie.

Start at 5:45am and finish 10pm.
    Time to sit on a couch......................I wished.
    Might as well be back doing pigs...............................except I would miss my free week-ends.;)
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Stevie G said:
    [quote=blonde]

Start at 5:45am and finish 10pm.
    Time to sit on a couch......................I wished.
    Might as well be back doing pigs...............................except I would miss my free week-ends.;)
    Hmmm long day..... may be pigs might bring the hours down but the pay will go with it dramatically .

Well cut your hours down......
    edited May 2012
    blonde said:
    [quote=Stevie G]Hmmm long day..... may be pigs might bring the hours down but the pay will go with it dramatically .

Well cut your hours down......

And the location Blonde.;)
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Stevie G said:
    [quote=blonde]

And the location Blonde.;)
    ...Just win LOTTO all your problems solved hey Stevie...they you can make your own hours...&...spend more time on the pig site...living and breathing pigs.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited June 2012
    blonde said:
    [quote=Stevie G]...Just win LOTTO all your problems solved hey Stevie...they you can make your own hours...&...spend more time on the pig site...living and breathing pigs.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that were to happen Blonde then I won't be doing anything to do with pigs.:D
    Spinst du eigentlich frauline(are you mad woman).:confused: :D

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

The Commuter Pig Keeper - 5m Books