ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Pig Breeds

blonde Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Vets and Producers
Does any one now any thing about the Holsteinian Marsh Pig?
or the Jutlandian Marsh pig?
Where they lived?
What they were like?
What color they were?
What weight they attained?
How tall they grew?
How there ears were set?
What environment they lived in?

Comments

• vendelboe Member
    edited May 2012
    Hi Blonde

try to look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_Protest_Pig

Hope it was a help

Vendelboe
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    vendelboe said:
    Hi Blonde

try to look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_Protest_Pig

Hope it was a help

Vendelboe
    Can you elaborate on the two pigs I have asked about.
    I am aware it is from Denmark, but there seems to be no information on the above mentioned pigs.....I am also aware that it was used to protest the prevent of raising the Danish Flag during the war years. The Germans invaded Denmark and prevent them from doing just this, so they bred this pig to show them that Denmark was not going to give in..They were kept in peoples front gardens in full display of the Germans as they passed along the road way in their vehicles and on foot. ..... But I would just like to know more about the other two pigs in the breeding program and how long it took to breed this pig. Is it still alive today or is it extinct. Ar they a good meat eating pig or are they just used as pets?
  • Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited May 2012
    blonde said:
    Can you elaborate on the two pigs I have asked about.
    I am aware it is from Denmark, but there seems to be no information on the above mentioned pigs.....I am also aware that it was used to protest the prevent of raising the Danish Flag during the war years. The Germans invaded Denmark and prevent them from doing just this, so they bred this pig to show them that Denmark was not going to give in..They were kept in peoples front gardens in full display of the Germans as they passed along the road way in their vehicles and on foot. ..... But I would just like to know more about the other two pigs in the breeding program and how long it took to breed this pig. Is it still alive today or is it extinct. Ar they a good meat eating pig or are they just used as pets?

A project pig is was made by crossing an Holstienian, an Jutlandian, an Angeln Saddleback, and the English Saddleback(red variants) which produced a Prodject Pig", which is still alive to day.
    The English Saddleback and the Angeln are still alive today, but not the Jutlandian or Holstienian as a single breed, but only as part of the Project Pig, so in effect are still around today.
    How long it took I could only guess.
    Four breeds, 4 generations?????
    It was recognised in 1954.
    Don't know where that means it took roughly 2 years???
    Probably not, but longer to get the distinctive marks.:D
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Stevie G said:
    A project pig is was made by crossing an Holstienian, an Jutlandian, an Angeln Saddleback, and the English Saddleback(red variants) which produced a Prodject Pig", which is still alive to day.
    I am fully ware of that and they are found in the Hanover Zoo... been in contact with them already. check your email
  • Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited May 2012
    blonde said:
    I am fully ware of that and they are found in the Hanover Zoo... been in contact with them already. check your email

Just got around to looking at email, interesting colours and piglets look good.
    Would like to know what was used to get that sow.
    Can't be the breeds we spoke of hey Blonde????
    Will come back to this.;) :D :confused:
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Stevie G said:
    Just got around to looking at email, interesting colours and piglets look good.
    Would like to know what was used to get that sow.
    Can't be the breeds we spoke of hey Blonde????
    Will come back to this.;) :D :confused:
    no they are not...yes but interesting

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books