ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Slaughter and butchery question

Katie75 Junior Member
edited May 2012 in Market Place
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting some weeners to grow on for the freezer but don't know how much it costs to slaughter and butcher them. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what it costs in the UK?

Thanks.

Comments

• blonde Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Katie75 said:
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting some weeners to grow on for the freezer but don't know how much it costs to slaughter and butcher them. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what it costs in the UK?

Thanks.
    ring an abattoir and ask
  • RedborneSchoolFarm Junior Member
    edited May 2012
    We have had a variety of quotes for various thinsg depends what you want done. To simply kill a pig and split it in half ready to be butchered costs us (Depending on Abattoir) anywhere from £30 - £37 including VAT. Butchery costs a little more and we can get kill and butchered (Known as kill and cut) for £50 plus VAT. Sausages being made cost extra £2.20 per kilo and burgers something similar.

To turn a whole pig into sausages from kill to finished products can with a large pig costs over £180. But that is a lot of sausages!!!!
  • RedborneSchoolFarm Junior Member
    edited May 2012
    Always check out your abattoir on the good abattoir guide!!!

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books