ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Feeding methods

blonde Senior Member
edited April 2012 in Vets and Producers
What is the best way to feed pigs and why?

What do people feed their pigs on?

What is the best material to feed them on?

Do people use the floor or the ground or a drum and why?

Do you use liquid and why?

Do you use solid feed and why?

Do you use pellets and why?

Do you use fresh grain and why?

What additives are added and how does that affect your growing?

How often do you feed your growers?

Do you feed on the floor or a container or in a self feeder?

How often do you feed your lactating sows?

Once a day, twice a day or more and with how much?

How often do you feed your suckers or are they on feeder?

Do you make your own creep for the suckers still on mum or do you buy pellets in and why?

If you make your own what do you add to the mix to make it edible and inviting?

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited April 2012
    blonde said:

Do you make your own creep for the suckers still on mum or do you buy pellets in and why?

Blimey Blonde, it will take a while for someone to answer this lot.
    Does anyone have that much time??:confused: :D
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Stevie G said:
    Blimey Blonde, it will take a while for someone to answer this lot.
    Does anyone have that much time??:confused: :D
    That s fine I have the time to wait!
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    We handfeed, but use self feeders because of the lids that keep the rain and pest out of the feed.

We feed the piglets that are still on mom a wet feed and as they get closer to weaning age the dry the feed is.

If son is having a problem with weight, wet it alot and mist the pig as they eat. They don't spend much time going from feed to water and that calls for a pan in an old tire to keep that head up.

We do have two different types of barrels that we cut and put legs on and we put fresh cut grass in it. But once we have babies on the ground we take them out of the pen. That's how we lost one piglet from being crushed when Ruby would flip up the barrel and it came crashing down on the baby. Live and learn.

I rather pellets because of the waste issue. The grains seem to fly away with the high north wind that we have.
    edited April 2012
    blonde said:

A. Outdoors would be with a Peter Allen feeder and indoors would be with a self feeder with a nipple drinker on the same feeder.
    Wet feed systems are good, until of course something goes wrong and then they cost you money!

A.Weaners are feed milk powder, wheat, Barley, Soya bean meal and fish mean.
    Are they get older the fish meal is removed and they are feed Soya bean meal, Wheat, Barley, as these products are cheaper and the pigs can digest them a whole lot easier as they now pocess the correct enzymes to carry out this process.

A.As above.

A.I have done all of the above on the floor as weaners on restricted feed(twice a day), on the ground outdoors, but only on good firm soil, not mud and in a drum or Mexican hat.

Yes I have feed both fats and sow liquid feed and it is a good method of making thenm consume more feed which in turn give better FCR and DLG.

A.I've use dsolid food as I don't have a wet feed system and as It would cost lots of cash, its a cheaper option.

A. With pellets you waste less and because it is denser they will eat more and hence grow quick ie better FCR and DLG.
    You can store it easier and keep it fresher for longer also.

A.Silo store grain which is milled. Fresh grain only if you have no where to store it.

A.Paylean which promotes lean growth, rather than fat.

A. 6 times a day on wet, twice a day on restricted, and only when the trough runs half empty as a diagram switch will trigger it to refill them all.

A.I have done all, but to waste less the self feeder is best, of course only if it is set correctly.

A. Generally twice a day.

A They start on 1/4 of a kg per feed twice a day and are increased by 1/4 of a kg per feed until they stop eating.
    Level reached is about 10kg per day.

A. One a day a day jus a small hand full to start with and gradually increase the feed. The last week PM aswell.

Milk powder for piglets/weaners.

A.Molasses for sow and fatteners.
    Only ever needed to do this with sow when feeding milled corn though.

I hope this helps in your quest for knowledge hey Blonde.:D
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Stevie G said:
    Milk powder for piglets/weaners.

A.Molasses for sow and fatteners.
    Only ever needed to do this with sow when feeding milled corn though.

I hope this helps in your quest for knowledge hey Blonde.:D
    molasses got nothing in it...dont use it

sugar in the mix makes it sweet and is a carbohydrate....great for little piggies
    edited April 2012
    blonde said:
    molasses got nothing in it...dont use it

sugar in the mix makes it sweet and is a carbohydrate....great for little piggies

Molasses is a by product of sugar cane/sugar beet and only contains slightly less carbs than raw suar and is cheaper in price.
    Thats your loss Blonde.;) :D
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Stevie G said:
    Molasses is a by product of sugar cane/sugar beet and only contains slightly less carbs than raw suar and is cheaper in price.
    Thats your loss Blonde.;) :D
    No that is not my loss Stevie.... I have gone on the advice of my nutritionist......
    edited April 2012
    blonde said:
    No that is not my loss Stevie.... I have gone on the advice of my nutritionist......

As you live where you do Molasses would not be worth your while.
    Would be better over here in QLD as they grow sugar cane.
    No sugar cane is grown in WA, so it wouldn't be that cheap for you and also not redably available which is why a nutrition would not have recommended it to you.
    Most people use milk powder as it is high in protein where as sugar is not, infact has no protein, which means you need to add extra, which of course will cost you more.
    Makes no sense unless the price of milk powder is high in WA????
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Stevie G said:
    As you live where you do Molasses would not be worth your while.
    Would be better over here in QLD as they grow sugar cane.
    No sugar cane is grown in WA, so it wouldn't be that cheap for you and also not redably available which is why a nutrition would not have recommended it to you.
    Most people use milk powder as it is high in protein where as sugar is not, infact has no protein, which means you need to add extra, which of course will cost you more.
    Makes no sense unless the price of milk powder is high in WA????
    Choc milk powder is added and it comes from QLD,. sugar is added to get weaners on to the feed, Sugar is grown in the Ord but is not now process there. Molasses is readily available in WA ...it is just that we dont add it into the mix.

Minerals all come in by rail from other states......w ith really good results. cant complain about my growth rates and back fats.
    edited April 2012
    blonde said:
    Choc milk powder is added and it comes from QLD,. sugar is added to get weaners on to the feed, Sugar is grown in the Ord but is not now process there. Molasses is readily available in WA ...it is just that we dont add it into the mix.

Minerals all come in by rail from other states......w ith really good results. cant complain about my growth rates and back fats.

What, now or before;) ???:D
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Stevie G said:
    What, now or before;) ???:D
    Now........so genetics have come good also......are you :confused: yet Stevie:D
    edited April 2012
    blonde said:
    Now........so genetics have come good also......are you :confused: yet Stevie:D
    So what has improved then???
    Enlighten me?;)

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books