ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

My hands reek!!!

rrr9142 Junior Member
edited March 2012 in "Off Your Chest"
I am fairy new to raising pigs...Our adventure started last April. We bought 7 pigs, 4 gilts and 3 barrows. My son and neighbor wanted to start showing them for 4-H. The reason we bought gilts is because we wanted to farrow our own pigs. I did not handle or do much with the pigs this spring or summer. But now that it is just about farrowing time I handle them everyday. I have one problem with that...They stink!!! I touch them for a second and their smell is on my hands. So my question is for all you seasoned pig farmers. How do you get the smell off your hands??? I have tried soap(many different scents and brands) baking soda, lemon juice, salt.

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited February 2012
    rrr9142 said:
    I am fairy new to raising pigs...Our adventure started last April. We bought 7 pigs, 4 gilts and 3 barrows. My son and neighbor wanted to start showing them for 4-H. The reason we bought gilts is because we wanted to farrow our own pigs. I did not handle or do much with the pigs this spring or summer. But now that it is just about farrowing time I handle them everyday. I have one problem with that...They stink!!! I touch them for a second and their smell is on my hands. So my question is for all you seasoned pig farmers. How do you get the smell off your hands??? I have tried soap(many different scents and brands) baking soda, lemon juice, salt.

Seems strange to me that your pigs should smell so much??????
    Why not just wear some glovers:D .
  • mlktrkdrvr Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    after washing them really good I have used bath and body works hand sanitizer and that seems to kill it (or maybe just hide it long enough to go away). I use Island Nectar scent because that is just what the daughters had around the first time I wanted some. Also worked good when our sewer was clogged and we had stinky hands from plumbing on the sewer side.
  • Galapas Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    We have several pigs and I am always patting and scratching them. Unless they've been rollling in stinky mud the only smell I get is what I call "Eau de Farm" which isn't a bad smell, just an animal smell. My dogs usually smell worse than the pigs, so I find it very odd that your pigs would stink so much. What season is it where you live? Are they rolling in muddy water or dirty snow?
  • SWEETPIGS Junior Member
    edited March 2012
    ive never tried it on pig smell but it works for smelly fish hands. wash your hands with soap and water and dry them off then rub them on dry stainless steel quickly for a minute or so, wash them again with soap and water and supprisingly its gone.

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

The Commuter Pig Keeper - 5m Books