ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

How many pigs do you own?

Isabelle Junior Member
edited April 2014 in Pig Tales and Stories
Just wondering how many pigs we all have?

We have 2 but I'm *thisclose* to picking up the sister of the little female we picked up yesterday. This would make 3 females....I'm wondering how the dynamics would work?

Thoughts?

Comments

• G0560 Junior Member
    edited January 2012
    We have two sows. Our first experience with pigs. Both have just delivered. One killed all but two of her piglets. The other is the perfect mother. One will soon be sausage. The other will be fine dining on the finest slop. She took the two survivors of the first sow. We now have 12 piglets, 3 and 4 days old. Came on line to learn about castrating procedures. Not looking forward to it.
  • Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited January 2012
    G0560 said:
    We have two sows. Our first experience with pigs. Both have just delivered. One killed all but two of her piglets. The other is the perfect mother. One will soon be sausage. The other will be fine dining on the finest slop. She took the two survivors of the first sow. We now have 12 piglets, 3 and 4 days old. Came on line to learn about castrating procedures. Not looking forward to it.

Gilts savaging piglets is a common problem and can be dealt with in various ways by a stockperson. A product called stresnil can be injected(4 ml injection) or beer can be added to her water or food(daft but true).
    If I were you and this gilt had a first good litter, would leave her to recoup for 3 weeks, so miss a serve, then reserve her.
    My thoughts on the subject for what its worth.:D

As to castration, if you know what your doing its a "piece of cake", so maybe get a Vet or another farmer to show you how its done and the sooner you do it the better and the easier it is. 1 to 4 days old is best.
    Let us know how you go and good Luck.
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    Son has 1 sow (fingers crossed settled)

2 gilts 5 and 4 mths old

Son would of had another 2 yr old sow, sold her to ALCORN University

2 gilts litter mates they are 2.5 mths old

1 boar related to sow and the 5 mth old show gilt

Trying to figure out how to swing things that we will have a litter when the pervios litter is weaned.
  • Galapas Senior Member
    edited January 2012
    We have 6 breeding age sows ranging in age from 8 months to a little over two years; three are purebred Tamworths and three are Tamworth/Duroc hybrids. As well, three of them (possibly four) are pregnant.

We have a purebred Tamworth boar.

Three Tam/Duroc females, 3 months old, that we are going to keep as breeders.

Fourteen finishers ranging in age from 3 months to 3 1/2 months that we are growing to butchering size.

As for castrating, watch youtube. That's how me and my husband learned - I hold them and he does the cutting. He's getting more proficient so we're able to do them younger each time. We're down to three weeks old but I know there are some on this forum who do them at a few days old.
  • Little Swede Junior Member
    edited January 2012
    Isabelle said:
    Just wondering how many pigs we all have?
    I have 18 minipigs, but only 10 (5 boars and 5 sows) of them are for breeding.
    I also have a Linderöd-pig. An old Swedish breed that is under threat of extinction.
  • becky3086 Junior Member
    edited February 2012
    I have my first two. Just got them last weekend.
  • teacuppig Junior Member
    edited May 2012
    I have just one mini pig sow
  • Swineheart Member
    edited February 2013
    Too many? Six sows and gilts plus a boar... expecting 30 or so newborns.
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited February 2013
    Down to 1 boar, 1 "settled" gilt and another gilt.

Hoping for a safe deliver on Coke and getting Amy settled in April not before then.
  • Hollow Point Junior Member
    edited June 2013
    Sows-5
    Boar-1
    Gilt-1
    Barrows-2
  • MulefootMama Junior Member
    edited August 2013
    3 Mulefoots, 2 gilts and 1 barrow.

MM
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    G0560 said:
    castration.....not that hard and not that gruesome either. You want to learn I cant teach you.....easy
  • bigtuna Junior Member
    edited April 2014
    Ok new guy here, bought 4 wattles today. Awesome. Been pig huntin for a while feeder pig market seems to have dried up in mo. But I finally got an awesome deal on theese. Anyway glad to b here

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

The Commuter Pig Keeper - 5m Books