ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

parvovirus

kdmast Junior Member
edited August 2011 in PMWS and PDNS
I recently bought 8 -4month old pigs and a bred sow, the guy gave me parvo med and said I should give it to her in about a week. I didn't, I researched and saw info from U Minn. that said virtually all herds carry the disease. Also said the gilt only needs vaccine once. We had 13 piglets, lost 3 to squashing, one crawled away and froze and have lost another with 2 sick. One seems to be recovering and one is not eating. The one not eating threw up yellow with small cottage cheese like chunks. They are 2 wks old. Another question. Do I need to worry about passing parvo to my dogs?

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited April 2011
    kdmast said:
    I recently bought 8 -4month old pigs and a bred sow, the guy gave me parvo med and said I should give it to her in about a week. I didn't, I researched and saw info from U Minn. that said virtually all herds carry the disease. Also said the gilt only needs vaccine once. We had 13 piglets, lost 3 to squashing, one crawled away and froze and have lost another with 2 sick. One seems to be recovering and one is not eating. The one not eating threw up yellow with small cottage cheese like chunks. They are 2 wks old. Another question. Do I need to worry about passing parvo to my dogs?

Best is to ring a Vet and ask him, but I wouldn't have thought it would cross between the two species, parvo that is(not pig parvo).
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    kdmast said:
    None of the pig diseases pass between the pig and the dog..... I have asked the question to a vet int khe kpast, as I have dogs int he piggery to keep the foxes away. I was worried about this as well.

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books