ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

ITCHY SKIN, and it's not mange mites...

clovenhearts Junior Member
edited February 2011 in "Off Your Chest"
... Cause it's MY itchy skin LOL...

Anyone else who works in a pig barn get issues with insanely dry skin, especially during winter? My face and wrists (as well as back) get red and very itchy. I moisturize with anything htat says 'for problem skin, hypoallergenic, intense moisture' etc along with hydracortizone cream. During the weekend when I'm off work my skin slightly clears up, but then monday comes along and it goes right back to red, tight and itchy.

Any tips on creams or soaps I should be showering in/out with? I'm sure the twice a day showers don't help with the dryness. This is driving me nuts

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited November 2010
    clovenhearts said:
    ... Cause it's MY itchy skin LOL...

Anyone else who works in a pig barn get issues with insanely dry skin, especially during winter? My face and wrists (as well as back) get red and very itchy. I moisturize with anything htat says 'for problem skin, hypoallergenic, intense moisture' etc along with hydracortizone cream. During the weekend when I'm off work my skin slightly clears up, but then monday comes along and it goes right back to red, tight and itchy.

Any tips on creams or soaps I should be showering in/out with? I'm sure the twice a day showers don't help with the dryness. This is driving me nuts

Maybe its a "Staph" infection of some sort or you have an allergy to something that you work with ie a drug you use, diesel, etc.
    I worked with pigs for 30 years on both indoor and outdoor units and never had a problem, so its not normal, but I know it to happen to others occassionally, and my best advice to you is to go and see a DOCTOR as soon as possible and don't leave it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • clovenhearts Junior Member
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I seen a doctor about it back when I was working at my old piggy job a few years ago, and she rudely shrugged me off and told me to go find some hydrocortizone cream. Its predominately my cheeks, nostrils, inside wrists, and eyelids. Much moreso in the winter than summer too. I been working here since Oct 10, and just over a week ago it's started.

Next time I see my family practitioner I'll ask him about it. Or maybe ask the pharmacist for the best cream.

For now I think I'll douse MYSELF with some greasy piglet remedy (ha ha, I'm mostly joking)
  • I8Iggy Senior Member
    edited November 2010
    You can go to your co-op and purchase the main and tail conditioner
  • Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited November 2010
    What he needs is a GOOD doctor, as hes already seen one before.
    What drugs and products do you using on farm? Maybe ensure that your following the correct precedure in the application of these drugs/chemicals?? That means making sure you wear gloves, a mask, eye wear etc...(you can see they drum Health and Safety in to me!!!!!!!!).
    It must be something in your on-farm environment that is causing the problem!!!!!
  • BrendaPope Junior Member
    edited February 2011
    Your information and tips is good and really very helpful...

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Piglet Nutrition Notes - 5m Books