ThePigSite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the swine industry

Stockworker

myd Junior Member
edited August 2010 in Employment/Jobs
Hi All

There's a vacancy local to me for stock workers on outdoor pig units which I've applied for!

Having never worked in animal husbandry in my life, I'm hoping that some people here will give me a few pointers on what to write in the "additional information" section of the application form to support my application and also hints and tips for the interview - if I get that far.

I am applying for this sort of work with my eyes wide open, knowing that they are in fact "beasts" and not cuddly animals, that eventually they'll go to slaughter etc etc etc.

TIA
Myd

Comments

• Stevie G Super Moderator
    edited August 2010
    myd said:
    Hi All

There's a vacancy local to me for stock workers on outdoor pig units which I've applied for!

Having never worked in animal husbandry in my life, I'm hoping that some people here will give me a few pointers on what to write in the "additional information" section of the application form to support my application and also hints and tips for the interview - if I get that far.

I am applying for this sort of work with my eyes wide open, knowing that they are in fact "beasts" and not cuddly animals, that eventually they'll go to slaughter etc etc etc.

TIA
    Myd

Do they ask for people with experience, that is the question?
    Outdoors is far nicer than Indoor , as the small is no where near as intense.
    Its the wet cold weather thats the killer for most.
    What they will want you to do is feed(Peter Allen feeder maybe), bed-up , move, inject, and assist with mating(either AI or Natural).
    If I were you I would just be honest and say that you've always had a desire to work with pigs etc...Piggeries are always looking for staff, so it is more than likely they will take you on, unless of course someone with experience turns up to be intervieed.

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Know Your Pigs - Old Pond Publishing